Windows 10 forced updates are ridiculous

Matthew Renna

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2017
Forced updates in Windows 10 are utterly insanely stupid. Today I took some stupid test on the computer at school that all high school juniors have to take. Some of the computers at the school have windows 10, and I used one of those. In the middle of the test, I have to leave for several minutes to do something, and when I come back, the computer is rebooting and applying updates. I lost all of my work from this, it's absolutely ridiculous.

What on earth is Microsoft thinking? This is the dumbest thing ever. Why did they make windows update this way?

USAFRet

Titan

That is simply incompetent IT admins at your school. It should never update and reboot during working(school) hours.

Why are updates pushed with Win 10?
Due to the last 20 years of it being optional, resulting in millions of unpatched systems. Resulting in massive bot farms, and malware outbreaks.

Yeah don't blame Windows. Blame the idiot administrators in your school. I've never seen so much IT incompetence as I have when it comes to government-owned computers. Ask the city of Atlanta how they liked being hacked and held for ransomware (which they have still not paid and data is still not recovered). Idiots. It's not Windows.

Matthew Renna

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2017

lol
Most of the computers in the school running windows 7 have had windows update disabled since I assume they got the computers, 2010, around that time. I know this because they still have IE 8.

That is not Microsoft's fault, that is your school's IT dept.'s fault.