Windows 10 Free Upgrade

NerfySourMan

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
I am confused on the facts. Will the upgrade be free to use for one year after the windows 10 release and then revert back to your old OS, or will you be able to get it, and use it forever.

Wolfshadw

Titan
99% sure you won't be able to use it forever and 100% sure it won't automatically revert back to your old OS. Shortly after Windows 10 is released, you will need to either purchase a license for it or re-install your older OS and programs.

-Wolf sends

anoori9000

Honorable
I was confused on the wording too, I am not positive, but it sounds like as long as it is 1 year after the release of windows 10, at any time within that 1 year, you can upgrade for free and forever have windows 10. I am pretty sure they give you a license and a CD key.

Wolfshadw

Titan
99% sure you won't be able to use it forever and 100% sure it won't automatically revert back to your old OS. Shortly after Windows 10 is released, you will need to either purchase a license for it or re-install your older OS and programs.

-Wolf sends

AlienIsGOD

Distinguished
May 3, 2008

i wouldn't assume that you will have to pay for it. Free for the first year sounds exactly like what it says. Unless they curveball ppl and turn it into a subscription service after the 1st year.

Just found this on PC Gamer http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-windows-10-will-not-be-sold-as-a-subscription/

and this from MS http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/

It will be free for the first year, no strings attached.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Within the first year after final release, Win 7/8.1 users will be able to upgrade to Win 10 for free.
If you want Win 10 after a year beyond the release date, you'll have to buy it.

If you upgrade, it won't go away, or revert to some nebulous subscription plan. It will run forever.

Wolfshadw

Titan

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info!

-Wolf sends

Math Geek

Champion
Herald
info is very sketchy right now but it sounded to me like it will be free for a year (long enough to get you to forget win 7/8 and get set-up on win 10). after the year there will be some cost involved but no one really knows what.

there has been lots of talk about "monetizing" windows better. i expect either a subscription model with a monthly/yearly fee or for the core of windows to remain free but any extras would be paid. look at what others charge for as an example. i am thinking office, cloud services, "pro" features, a windows app store (lots of money for MS there just ask google and apple), possibility security software as options to be paid for.

but i do think we have purchased our last version of windows outright. from here out it will be free upgrades through whatever subscription model they come up with. MS realizes they can't compete with free anymore. windows is the only os that still costs for the core features. mac/android/chrome os are all free to use but make their money through app stores and optional services.

just my 2 cents :D

Math Geek

Champion
Herald

based on all the talk from MS over the last few months this is where i am leaning. they acknowledge how badly free os's are hurting them and this is really the only way to combat it. give the base os free and charge for the extras so we can pick and chose what we need and what we pay for. i like it better this way anyway since i, like most folks, don't use all the stuff windows comes with now anyway. why pay for it, if i am not going to use it.

we have been asking for a la cart pricing for every thing for so long and are now finally getting it :D (now just need the cable companies to follow suit and my life with be worth living again)

dreinhard

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015
This is very simple. Microsoft is going to make the upgrade to windows 10 free for one year. After that one year you will have to pay for the upgrade. If you upgrade within that first year (free), you will not be charged any additional fees after the first year is up for subscription, renewal, etc. The OS will remain free for as long as you have that computer.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS