Question Windows 10 "Freeze" after PIN Sign In

mikebaker5317

Prominent
Feb 22, 2018
Hi All:

A client's Acer TC-780 Series with a 7gen Corei5, 2TB Toshiba HDD desktop with Windows 10 Home "freezes", that is, throws up the background photo, does not populate with icons. The pointer appears, can be move with the mouse, but left clicking anywhere on the background or taskbar results in the small blue circle that rotates "forever". Right clicking calls up the display properties window, but does nothing. The only thing that shows up after 4 or 5 minutes is a request for Malwarebytes to update to an new version and if clicked, it disappears and again nothing happens except the blue circle remains spinning. With Ctrl-Alt-Del I can get the option to run task manager. Yet, when I click on it, the task manager will not load (goes back to background). I then went to safemode and ran troubleshooting and advanced options including:

1. Startup Repair - no changes.
  2. Recovery Options - no changes.
  3. Restore from earlier point in time - unsuccessful, restore points failed.
Then I slaved the drive and ran:

1. Chkdsk - no bad sectors
  2. Sfc scannow /r /f /x - no changes
Factory reset is not an option the client wants to take. Maybe you DOS wizards out there have a solution.

I am about to suggest to the client that I copy their most important files to a thumb drive and deliver those and let them at least have that and use another computer to access them. When faced with that choice, he may agree to a Reset knowing he will have to purchase new software to run their other software.

Your responses are very much appreciated.

Mike

PS: I've run EaseUS and GSmartControl to test the integrity of the disk and it's error free.

mikebaker5317

Prominent
Feb 22, 2018
safe mode what?
What did you install/update(driver?)
could also be profile issue. try create a new one
Hi rgd1101,
Not sure what you mean by "Safe Mode What?" but it is Windows 10 and I suspect it is Windows Update issue. I am not able to use UI because it freezes as I described before. Profile issue is quite possible so I will try to login as an administrator and run: "net user administrator /active:yes" with a safe mode command prompt.