Aug 26, 2020
So I recently installed Windows 10 64-bit on an old 64-bit compatible PC. During the installation, I made sure to have just one DIMM in the computer because that’s apparently a good way to avoid BSODs and other errors. The installation seemed to go well and was very fast.

At the moment I have 2 pairs of DIMMS, with two of the sticks being 2gb and the other two being 1gb, making a total of 6gb of RAM. All the DIMMS are in what I would describe as ‘like new’ condition.

When I attempt to boot up Windows with the one 2gb DIMM installed, it boots up fine. However, if I install the other matching 2gb DIMM and/or any of the 1gb DIMMS with the first 2gb DIMM, Windows freezes at the lock screen or becomes very slow to the point that it’s impossible to sign in. When I press a key or click the mouse to get the sign-in screen to appear, it freezes and then gives up and goes back to the lock screen.

Not sure if this is a problem with the video card or CPU or something else, but it seems like a weird thing to happen after installing more RAM sticks.

Solution
  • Firstly, are the 2x2GB sticks from the same pack? Mixed modules are not guaranteed compatibility.
  • Have you reset CMOS after installing just the 2GB modules?
  • Only having 1 DIMM installed during installation wouldn't really make a difference. A BSOD will occur when potential corruption occurs, having more than one module wouldn't make much difference unless the RAM/slot was faulty. At least - I've not experienced anything otherwise.
  • Have you changed anything else?
  • Are all drivers up to date? (Not using a driver updater app).

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
  • Firstly, are the 2x2GB sticks from the same pack? Mixed modules are not guaranteed compatibility.
  • Only having 1 DIMM installed during installation wouldn't really make a difference. A BSOD will occur when potential corruption occurs, having more than one module wouldn't make much difference unless the RAM/slot was faulty. At least - I've not experienced anything otherwise.

Reactions: time-flight
Solution
Aug 26, 2020
Thanks for the help, resetting the CMOS after installing the 2GB modules and then enabling the 'memory remap feature' in the BIOS fixed the problem.

Reactions: PC Tailor