Windows 10 freezes at logo on startup

LLamablaster

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
My new build has started to freeze at the Windows logo on startup every time. It was working great for about a day, and then this morning while I was playing Overwatch the system hard froze, with no crash messages or blue screen or anything. Ever since I haven't been able to get past the logo screen. I can interact with the bios, and have checked each of the other components (HDD, ssds, ram, optical drive, gpu) by removing and reintegrating them individually and nothing worked. I have induced the Automatic Repair mode and it freezes in the same place. I have tried running a repair from my Windows 10 install USB stick and it freezes in the same place. It seems to me that since the fans and bios are working the motherboard is alright, so my guess is that the culprit is the CPU. From what I've read that is reasonably rare, however, so I'm looking for a second opinion. Thanks.

System specs:
Msi Z370-A pro motherboard
Intel i5 8600 CPU
EVGA GeForce 1060 SC 3gb gpu
gskill ripjaws ddr4 (2*4gb) ram
Corsair cx 600m psu
2 ssds and a Seagate 1tera hdd

Solution
*Do note to try this at your own risk* but today i ran into the same issue. I have an older power supply with a 4 pin instead of 8 pin CPU power connector, but I unplugged it from the CPU connector on the board, and plugged it back in while the pc was running. *not the greatest idea* but it solved my issue instantly. The pc shut off, i turned it back on myself and there were no issues whatsoever. I am in college in the CIT program, so troubleshooting is part of my class
Remove everything except system SSD, AND REMOVE ALL PLUGGED IN USB DEVICE and try to turn on PC that way.

You can use installation media to try doing a system restore or booting into safe mode. On your laptop, go to the Microsoft software download website, download the media creation tool, then use it to create installation media on USB drive. Boot your PC from USB drive, when Windows Installation begins there wiil be an option to "Repair your computer' where you can go advanced boot option for safe mode, or try system restore checkpoint.

LLamablaster

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
I have tried those options, with nothing plugged in except one drive, my keyboard, and one stick of ram. And a monitor. Additionally, I managed to muscle my way into a full clean install off of the USB stick using safe mode, but got the freeze again moments after landing on the desktop after setup. Now I still get the freeze everytime, but sometimes I make it to the desktop first.

Thanks for your suggestions!

LLamablaster

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
Update: I have tried flashing the bios to the most recent version and running a clean windows install from a different USB drive. Still freezing every time. I would love some advice here.

Nov 24, 2018
*Do note to try this at your own risk* but today i ran into the same issue. I have an older power supply with a 4 pin instead of 8 pin CPU power connector, but I unplugged it from the CPU connector on the board, and plugged it back in while the pc was running. *not the greatest idea* but it solved my issue instantly. The pc shut off, i turned it back on myself and there were no issues whatsoever. I am in college in the CIT program, so troubleshooting is part of my class

Solution