Question Windows 10 Freezes - Hard Reboot Required

Rick Scolaro

Honorable
Dec 1, 2014
Typically after just one day of computing, I'll come back to my computer in the morning and Windows 10 is unresponsive. You can't click anything and CTRL+ALT+DELETE doesn't work to pull up the Task Manager.

Sometimes the behavior is that you can do things in one window, but the Start menu and taskbar is locked up and you can't even request a soft reset or shutdown.

I used to be able to go WEEKS without a reboot.

I have no idea how to troubleshoot since nothing works and I have to manually hold down the POWER button until the whole computer shuts off abruptly and turn it back on again.

I want to say maybe there's a program with a memory leak or something, but how do I troubleshoot that?

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening and how to fix it or at least troubleshoot it?

Thanks.

Rick Scolaro

Honorable
Dec 1, 2014
The only Critical errors in the Windows System logs are when I physically turn off the computer. I get this whenever I do that:

Code:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Rick Scolaro

Honorable
Dec 1, 2014
Here's today's most recent case of this phenomenon.

I wake up the computer (monitor asleep)
I go to the open Chrome browser.
I try to reload one of the open tabs.
I notice I can't click on anything else on the desktop.
I close Chrome.
I can move the mouse cursor freely, but cannot click anything.
I notice the cursor turns to a loading (blue circle icon) when in the taskbar area in the bottom.
I try a CTRL+ALT+DELETE to get to the Task Manager.
Nothing happens for at least 10 minutes.
I manually turn off the power to the computer.
I turn the computer back on, which boots normally.
I examine the system and application logs at the time just before the reboot.
GbpUfrg.jpg

As you can see there are no logs of any kind until the reboot, which was at 10:48am