Windows 10 freezes in normal mode, stable in safe mode.

Daniel_57

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015
Hello,
My computer has been freezing randomly for 2 weeks now, It's driving me crazy. It freezes while gaming, watching media, or streams, or idle, most of the times with a loud buzzing sound coming from the speaker. Sometimes it last 5 hours max before freezing, sometimes just 10 mins. I tried it in Safe Mode with network (found a way to enable sound, and the system seems completely stable). No overheating of cpu or gpu.

Things i tried so Far:
Windows 10 Reset. (at first it seemed like it worked, but i got a freeze after gaming for 3 hours)
GPU driver downgrade, I had the latest drivers (IT made no difference)

I tried a bunch of settings on my bios, Disabled amd turbo core, I put the vcore voltage of my cpu to a default state(since I undervolted earlier), I played a bit with my ram voltages and timings (Defaults timings and voltage were as specified as my ram model).

Played a bit with my power options, (PCI express Link state power managment)

I also cleaned the inside of my pc.

I checked for missing or old drivers, everything seems to be updated.

I ran windows memory diagnostic (4 passes)

I placed the ram in the other slots.

No idea what's wrong. I'm don't want to think it's a hardware issue, since it runs stable in safe mode, but a windows reset didn't fix it, so......

My specs: OS Windows 10 64bits Fx 8350 (Stock clockspeed and no overheating) r9 390 nitro (stock as well) 8gb ram ddr3 (single stick) asus m5a97 r2.0 motherboard EVGA 600W 80 PLUS (49A on the +12V)

I suspect my psu, r9 390+fx 8350 is a very power hungry mix of components, but It worked ok for the last 3 months (it's kinda new), maybe the high power use broke it??. And I don't know if it's a coincidence but the computer started having problems since the moment I moved away from my other residence, I was pretty carefull with my pc so I don't think something broke while moving my stuff)
Thanks for reading this, and sorry for my bad grammar, I'm a Non native english speaker.

Solution
I Think i found my fix. Updated from w10 10240 to version 10586, Haven't had any freezing since that. The wierd thing is that my w10 10240 worked fine for months without presenting any problems.

Daniel_57

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015
I Think i found my fix. Updated from w10 10240 to version 10586, Haven't had any freezing since that. The wierd thing is that my w10 10240 worked fine for months without presenting any problems.

Solution
Jan 23, 2021
I brought a brand new Lenovo Flex 5 with Ryzen 5 4500U coupled with 8GB DDR4 3200MHz and 512GB SkHynix NVMe drive sadly with the same issue from day 0 (since 1st booting) then I replace that product and the replaced product also having the same issue, and yes..!! I also have tried all the mentioned tweaks, nothing worked for me. Aslo I haven't face this issue on windows 10 safe mode of even linux(ubuntu 20.10, kernel 5.8).