Windows 10 freezes on boot/ at logo

Jake_104

Commendable
Nov 22, 2016
So I have built a new PC over the past 4 weeks and have had no issues until last night. I was in the middle of playing a game and my computer froze and then restated. Upon the restart windows 10 won't load up, it will get to the boot screen with the the dots going around in a circle and will then freeze and restart. I have completely wiped my drives and reinstalled windows 10 and it works fine(no freezing or restarting) until I reinstall the drivers for my GPU then I can't get past the windows load screen again. I have tried using DDU to do clean installs of the drivers to no avail. I can get into windows in safe mode with the drivers installed but doesn't work in normal mode!!

Asus z170 mobo
GeForce 1070 gtx strix ROG
Intel i5 3.5
16 gb ddr4
Code:

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

OK, because this sounds like an issue with incompatibility. I mean that to say that something whether that be a driver update or windows update is incompatible with something else on your machine.

You'll have to find out what it is and depending on what it is and how it impacts your system you may need to replace it or skip it. If it a driver update for your GPU you may need to contact the manufacturer to see what they recommend.

If you get to a point where your system is no longer freezing, recommend you back it up immiediately with either a disk imager (i.e. Macrium Reflect) or a snapshot tool (i.e. RollBack Rx)