Windows 10 freezes on startup

Steve23147

Commendable
Apr 2, 2016
My computer freezes on Windows startup. The boot process gets to Diagnosing your PC and then freezes.

About a month ago I sat down at my desk and found that my computer was frozen. I held down the power button until it shut off and attempted to restart. Originally it would boot to a black screen. After attempting to boot my computer multiple times, I eventually got an overheating error. It was quite dusty inside the case, so I vacuumed out the dust. The CPU was still overheating, so I reseated the heat sink and put on some new thermal paste. After that my CPU was no longer overheating and I was able to get Windows to boot in safemode but not in standard mode. While in safemode I ran a check disk and no errors were found. I did however check the device manager and noticed that there was a yellow triangle over the CPU. I basically gave up from there. That was a couple of weeks ago.

I tried booting up the computer again yesterday and now I can't get past diagnosing your PC.

Any thoughts? I have unplugged everything from the motherboard and reseated it. Is this a software or a hardware issue?

Thanks,
Stephen

Colif

Win 11 Master
You will need to download this on another pc and create either a bootable USB or DVD of win 10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

I am not saying you need a new install, its just a boot disc

I think you should also visit the web site of your motherboard manufacturer and see if there are new drivers for your pc and probably a new bios.

what are the specs of the machine?

Solution