Windows 10 Freezing, Crashing, Then Can't Find Boot Device

remington04

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
I've been having a very strange issue with my computer recently.

It's run pretty well for the past few years, it's about 4 years old at this point and has been undergoing upgrades every now and then. I upgraded to Windows 10 back in June, and it all of a sudden started to freeze momentarily every once in a while, but then recover fine. This problem still exists today, however it's starting to get worse.

Freezes last longer, applications crash, and Windows occasionally crashes as well. The odd thing is, the only time my computer freezes is if I'm on the desktop, using windows explorer, in any Adobe program, or in Chrome. Nothing else crashes it.

When it crashes, it blue screens, tries to reboot, and when it does it brings me to a screen that says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device". If I reset my computer (power doesn't cut completely), it will just return me to that screen, however if I completely power down and back up, it will successfully find the boot device and Windows will run normally for the next 24 hours or so before starting to act up again.

Here are my system specs:

Intel i7 4770s
16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengence (Can't remember clock speed)
MSI Z87 Max Motherboard
Nvidia GTX 970
1TB WD 7200RPM Mechanical Drive
Crucial MX200 250GB SSD (OS on this drive)
850W PSU

Thank you in advance!

I suggest first a clean install using a windows 10 install media. You should be able to make the media. Make sure you system is tied to your MS account before hand. This will help get us past any software issues to nail down if its hardware. Then test your drives using the drive makers tools. Then the memory.

remington04

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015

I've been doing tests with this as well. HDD runs fine on another PC, probably going to test the SSD tomorrow since I don't have to work.

Michelle_94

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016

Hi, I have exactly the same problem. Did you figure out what caused the crashes?

justin_158

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016

Same...funny both of us the same day...please let us know OP! I just got a 1050ti and am itching to use it

TRENDING THREADS