Windows 10 Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

poterac2

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
Hi All,

I just built my first PC and I am having a lot of issues, specifically with Windows freezing/ seizing up. The screen will lock, with the mouse and keyboard unusable. This will happen anywhere from a couple minutes to 30 minutes into use. I have been browsing the forums, and have confirmed that my internal temps are low (all below 36, usually around 22-30), my BIOS version is 2501. My Vcore voltage seems to fluctuate from 0.8 to 1.4 V. This only happens with Windows and not with Ubuntu (though I recently screwed that OS up somehow).

Specs are:

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
AMD FX9590 CPU
Asus M5A99FX MOBO
Corsair H100i liquid CPU cooler
Crucial MX100 SSD (to run windows)
WD SATA 7200 HDD (dual boot with Ubuntu right now, the rest unused, planned for storage)
Rosewill ARC-7500 750W power supply
16 GB DDR3 Ram
Asus Radeon R9 290 GPU

I haven't had any freezing issues when using Ubuntu, leading me to believe that it may be software related. Any help you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
CX series units are notoriously low quality, but usually not immediately. It generally takes 6 months to a year before they crap out. I'd return that unit. They are tier 4 units for a reason. They use caps only rated for 85°C rather than high end Japanese caps, and tend to fail fairly quickly. It should however have been more than capable of determining if the PSU was the problem, so it's probably not. For future reference, stick to Tier 1 and 2 units, preferably those on Tier 1 or 2 from Seasonic, Super Flower, EVGA, Antec and XFX.

PSU Tier list: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Doing a clean install of 7 then upgrading to 10 is not the same as doing a clean install of 10. It's STILL going to bring...
I'd start with a clean install, and if you still have issues, I'd replace that crappy Rosewill ARC power supply. Rosewill has only ever made one series that was worthwhile, especially with a power hungry chip like the FX-9590 and a big card like the R9 290. It's highly doubtful that power supply can sustain it's rated capacity and the 9590 is recommended to be used with a 1000w power supply, but WE know a very good 850w unit is sufficient. That power supply qualifies as neither of those things and so is both underpowered and low quality.

The clean install might do the trick though, especially if your windows 10 installation is an upgrade from an already installed copy of 7 or 8, and if Ubuntu was previously installed on the same drive. Tutorial is here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2784691/resolve-unresolvable-issues-upgrading-windows.html

poterac2

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
Thank you very much for the tips! I actually started with a clean install of 7 (after having problems with my 7 upgrade code). Hopefully this is ok then, though I'm open to more opinions.

I will check out some other power supplies in the meantime. Any suggestions for better quality brands? And I'm just curious, what would allow Ubuntu to run fine with that power supply but not 10? I'm trying to work through the logic and seen to be failing somewhere in this. I've attempted to do several graphics and resource use tests in Ubuntu with good success and no freezing.

Thanks a bunch for all your help so far.

poterac2

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
Update: I bought a Corsair CX750M today from Best Buy to test this out (great return policy from them). No such luck. The system still freezes. It sounds like I still need a better power supply than the Rosewill regardless, though. Any other thoughts?

CX series units are notoriously low quality, but usually not immediately. It generally takes 6 months to a year before they crap out. I'd return that unit. They are tier 4 units for a reason. They use caps only rated for 85°C rather than high end Japanese caps, and tend to fail fairly quickly. It should however have been more than capable of determining if the PSU was the problem, so it's probably not. For future reference, stick to Tier 1 and 2 units, preferably those on Tier 1 or 2 from Seasonic, Super Flower, EVGA, Antec and XFX.

PSU Tier list: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Doing a clean install of 7 then upgrading to 10 is not the same as doing a clean install of 10. It's STILL going to bring some potentially incompatible settings or registry entries, along with older driver versions, along with it, which is the problem in the first place whether it's a clean 7 or 8 installation or one that's been in use for some time. Do a clean install of 10, only, and then go from there.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.