Question Windows 10 freezing

Apr 14, 2019
I just received a new motherboard from Msi so I put a new windows 10 op on my ssd. It fully installed and is now booting up. While booting up, the spinning animation freezes and won't boot. I try to install windows on another spare hard drive I had and the same thing happens. What should I do?

DavidM012

Distinguished
No things don't 'seem' up to date as far bios is concerned you must look it up on the support page of your mobo on the msi website for the latest version.

Please full system specs

cpu:
cooler :
ram:
mobo:

psu:
drives:
fans:
Case:

Some bios updates include for example, improve memory compatibility. You must identify the model of the board and find the page for it. You need a working pc to dload stuff.

Apr 14, 2019
No things don't 'seem' up to date as far bios is concerned you must look it up on the support page of your mobo on the msi website for the latest version.

Please full system specs

cpu:
cooler :
ram:
mobo:

psu:
drives:
fans:
Case:

Some bios updates include for example, improve memory compatibility. You must identify the model of the board and find the page for it. You need a working pc to dload stuff.
Just checked and its the newest one for that board

DavidM012

Distinguished
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z270-GAMING-M5

The latest bios was indeed 2018-07-04 sounds like it's now a discontinued model out of production. Wonder what they replaced it with.

Can still check memory compatibility against the qvl if you supply the full part number of the dimms you're using.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z270-GAMING-M5#support-cpu

Some say the qvl is only a guide not to be taken too literally, in so far as that you may not need to precisely match the dimms you have, but it's a place to start if you are experiencing problems.

Running memtest throwing up errors could mean either a faulty dimm(s) or simply incompatible ones. How can you know really what works unless you have some experience of builds with memory that is known to work.

You can also check Userbenchmark.com for reference they have thousands of builds with brands of memory that were used with your board. It's another way of cross referencing memory compatibility but you'll have to browse manually rather than quick search it. It may or may not be qvl, may or may not be compatible or may simply have an error.

Otherwise the problem is somewhere in the fire triangle of board, cpu, mem. Sata cables seem ok, that leaves gpu as well mebbe you can switch it for something else, windows stalling on boot could be failing to load the gpu driver.

Apr 14, 2019

The latest bios was indeed 2018-07-04 sounds like it's now a discontinued model out of production. Wonder what they replaced it with.

Can still check memory compatibility against the qvl if you supply the full part number of the dimms you're using.

Some say the qvl is only a guide not to be taken too literally, is so far as that you may not need to precisely match the dimms you have, but it's a place to start if you are experiencing problems.

Running memtest throwing up errors could mean either a faulty dimm(s) or simply incompatible ones. How can you know really what works unless you have some experience of builds with memory that is known to work.

You can also check Userbenchmark.com for reference they have thousands of builds with brands of memory that were used with your board. It's another way of cross referencing memory compatibility but you'll have to browse manually rather than quick search it. It may or may not be qvl, may or may not be compatible or may simply have an error.

Otherwise the problem is somewhere in the fire triangle of board, cpu, mem. Sata cables seem ok, that leaves gpu as well mebbe you can switch it for something else, windows stalling on boot could be failing to load the gpu driver.
I am currently attempting the memtest and it seems that everything is all right. Also, I just recieved the mobo from msi since the last one malfunctioned and the one they sent me was already jacked up with the temp disp crooked and thermal paste all over the latch

Apr 14, 2019

Some say the qvl is only a guide not to be taken too literally, in so far as that you may not need to precisely match the dimms you have, but it's a place to start if you are experiencing problems.

Also, I used the same exact model mobo and ram and it work perfectly before it died.

DavidM012

Distinguished
Oh so the board is a replacement of a prior one well I'd suggest send the board back get a refund and buy something else. Maybe even from a totally different vendor, totally different brand, just check the qvl for mem compatiblity they should be reasonably compatible across boards, and try and get one that has more recent bios releases that suggest they are still being maintained.