[SOLVED] Windows 10. Frequent hangs/crashes. No BSOD or .dmp files associated. Please help

Sep 14, 2020
Hi there, hoping for some help on this issue. I’m pulling my hair out!

My PC keeps freezing (hanging?) then crashing to blank screen (no BSOD or other error messages shown), and then restarting. I have repeatedly checked BlueScreenViewer and there are no .dmp files - I opened up the folder that is supposed to contain them, and there was only one .dmp from a few days ago associated with the gfx card (but the pc crashes 10 times a day, so this gfx event is likely unrelated). The only clue from Event Viewer is “Event 41, Kernel-Power - The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly”.

My temps are fine and these crashes do not coincide with heavy load, such as with games (if anything they happen less when I game). Sometimes after it crashes, Windows restarts and then crashes again when I get to the login screen. After it restarts, often things will be deactivated or not working, such as my WiFi Adapter or real-time scanning on MalwareBytes (spooky). Sometimes Windows fails to load when restarting.

I reinstalled Windows 10 on a new SSD to rule out a broken Windows/faulty HDD issue, also installed a new PSU to rule that out. I have performed memory checks using the Windows tool as well as MemTest86 - pass with zero errors. I thought it was my WiFi adapter, but it still crashes with it disconnected, then I thought it was my headset, which gives me issues, but it still crashed with it disconnected also. This was happening with a previous Windows 10 install on a separate HDD.

Today I will perform a full scan for malware of all drives (preliminary scans show no issue). I also recently cleaned out the whole case and all components are dust free.

Specs:
· MOBO – Z87 Extreme 4 (updated bios) (purchased 2013)
· CPU – i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz (not overheating, non-overclocked) (purchased 2013)
· RAM – 1600MHz 8GB DDR4 (purchased 2013)
· GPU – Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB (non-overclocked, latest drivers) (few years old)
· PSU – EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold (brand new)
· Storage – Samsung 860 Evo SSD (brand new w/ fresh Windows 10) + extra old HDDs with new SATA cables (old but healthy)
· System – Windows 10 Pro (10.0.19041 Build 19041) (fresh install)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Solution
I think it is better to continue your filtering procedure, so far you have changed the PSU and the OS. I suggest to continue by taking out the ram, or inserting it into another slot, also trying the on board graphics card, if you have another CPU. Since you mentioned that problem continued even after a full OS reinstall, it is safe to assume the problem is due to hardware problems, unless you didn't do a clean Windows install which persistent malware can get past it and onto your newly installed operating system.

If you are sure about your OS being clean it surely is your hardware which is problematic.

Also try not updating your OS to the latest version and then check and see if the problem is still there. Some machines have reported...

xenthia

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012
I think it is better to continue your filtering procedure, so far you have changed the PSU and the OS. I suggest to continue by taking out the ram, or inserting it into another slot, also trying the on board graphics card, if you have another CPU. Since you mentioned that problem continued even after a full OS reinstall, it is safe to assume the problem is due to hardware problems, unless you didn't do a clean Windows install which persistent malware can get past it and onto your newly installed operating system.

If you are sure about your OS being clean it surely is your hardware which is problematic.

Also try not updating your OS to the latest version and then check and see if the problem is still there. Some machines have reported problems with the very recent windows updates.

Solution