Windows 10 Fresh install BSOD Critical Structure Corruption

stantonll

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
Hi all,
I had been experiencing lots of various BSODs, so I did a fresh install of windows 10 from the original DVD. Since reinstall, I started having BSODs again. I’ve spent a lot of time on forums to try to fix this, leading to the results below.

Some relevant info:
System specs: Windows 10 x64, i7 6700, 16 GB DDR4, ASRock H170A-X1/3.1 MB, bios American Megatrends Inc. P7.00 date 11/03/16, PNY CS1311 960 GB SSD, WD 2 TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1080.

Windows updates: upgraded except for: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3200970) and Security Update for Windows (KB3200970)

I’ve installed minimal programs and drivers since the reinstall, including: Razer Synapse, logitech gaming software, manual install of nvida drivers , CPU-Z 1.78, WhoCrashed, WinDBG, Battlenet,

My dump files can be found here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_LUadd2xHe4a1BuanJRaUVxTlE?usp=sharing

WhoCrashed gave the following result:

Bug check description: This indicates that the kernel has detected critical kernel code or data corruption.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

WinDbg analyze -v was also inconclusive.

I tried all of the following several times. The results posted are typical.

Sfc /scannow
Results: Verification 54% complete. Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Results: Successful.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Results: Error: 14091 The name of an attribute in an identity is not within the legal range.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Results: Error: 14091 The name of an attribute in an identity is not within the legal range.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:E:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess using original windows disc.
Result: Error: 14091 The name of an attribute in an identity is not within the legal range.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Result: Error: 2 The system cannot find the file specified.
Try 2 Result: Error: 14098 The component store has been corrupted.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
Result: Successful.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:E:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess
Result: Error: 14098 The component store has been corrupted.
The error log can be found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_LUadd2xHe4VHc2UEg0YzZuLWs/view?usp=sharing
Thanks in advance for any help, and please let me know if there is any more information that might be helpful.

Solution
Error: 14091 The name of an attribute in an identity is not within the legal range. << One solution I found to this was RAM (http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/31212-sfc-scannow-dism-problems-cant-install-updates.html)

Try running http://www.memtest86.com/ free version on one stick at a time. Any errors are too many. If you get more than 0 errors the stick is at fault and needs to be replaced.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Error: 14091 The name of an attribute in an identity is not within the legal range. << One solution I found to this was RAM (http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/31212-sfc-scannow-dism-problems-cant-install-updates.html)

Try running http://www.memtest86.com/ free version on one stick at a time. Any errors are too many. If you get more than 0 errors the stick is at fault and needs to be replaced.

Solution

stantonll

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
Some Updates:

Memtest results:
ddr4 2134 stick 1 slot 1 immediately showed 5 errors.
ddr 4 2400 stick 1 slot: 1- 8 passes, no errors
NB: as of the OP i was using 2134 stick one in slot 1 and 2400 stick 1 in slot 3. I have an additional two sticks that were unused at the time of OP, which we will label 2134 stick two and 2400 stick two. I might as well test them while I’m at it.

It turns out I have an additional issue. Somehow I installed windows 10 pro instead of windows 10 home. Therefore my windows activation failed. So after I test the ram I”ll have to do clean install anyway. I’m not sure what, if any, effect this could have on my previous issues.

stantonll

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
Hi Colif, I did test the sticks one at a time in slot 1, giving the above results. I'm doing the re-reinstall today, and I will report back if/when the system starts crashing again or is stable for a few days. Thanks again for your help so far!

Edit: Just to be clear, I will go forward using only the stick that gave 0 errors after 8 passes to do the reinstall. 8GB should be fine until I can get some replacement RAM going, right?

stantonll

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
Update: Completed a fresh install of the correct version of windows 10. The only ram in the system is the stick which got 0 errors in 8 passes. I was able to install all windows updates with no issues. I haven’t a had a BSOD yet, so if I go a few days without a crash I’ll mark this one solved. Thanks again for all the help.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Win 10 is harder on ram than previous versions of windows as it uses it more.

1. it compresses any programs you close into ram instead of closing them completely in case you use them again as its faster to load out of ram
2. When you turn PC off at night it doesn't actually shutdown anymore. Win 10 uses hybrid hibernate instead, so half the programs opened at time of shutdown are saved into the hibernate file, and the remainder are saved in ram. This lets you load much faster.
Both these combine to mean ram gets more of a test on Win 10 and I see way more memory management errors now.

8gb should be fine, it would make more sense if they both sticks matched each others speeds too, buy a matching set of 16, and use the 2nd 8gb you have now in a 2nd channel.

I misread a previous post of yours and thought you had 32gb ram, not just 2 sticks :)