Question Windows 10 Fresh Install: Stuck at "Just a Moment" before computer turns off entirely.

Garen D

Reputable
Jul 15, 2020
Hello all, As you can see from the title of this post, I'm having trouble fresh installing windows 10 on to a (New SSD) little project computer of mine. It boots up normally at first but as soon as it gets to the wait a moment phase with the spinning dots; the computer shuts off. Sometimes I'm actually able to get to the windows user login screen but it typically freezes and turns off by then. I've done this before and have had no problem, but I have no idea what to do now.

Just in case this may have affected something, this wasn't the original problem. The original problem was that windows kept showing an error message stating "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered and unexpected error. Windows Installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "Ok" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation." I was able to fix this by going into regedit and tinkering around with a few values, (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\ChildCompletion and went to setup.exe to change it's value from 1 to 3.) I also had some weird error pop up called "whea_uncorrectable_error".

I've seen posts saying it was because of the CPU or because of heat / not updated BIOS but I'm not entirely sure how else I can diagnose the problem.

Specs.
GV-R726XWF2-2GD (rev. 2.0) GIGABYTE
AMD Athlon™ 860KAMD
ATX-PR800E (800W)Apevia
MSI A88xm GamingMSI

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

Garen D

Reputable
Jul 15, 2020
Apevia PSU is a possible suspect -- it's a brand to be avoided -- a quick google would have told you that as Here

I'm getting errors stating 0xc0000001 & 0xc0000009 on windows start up, it also turns off out of nowhere, Is it actually because of the PSU? How would I be able to test it? I feel like its just a problem with Windows 10 at the moment or maybe some other hardware issue? Because I've left the PSU on for a while and never had any problems on motherboard / bios set up, this only became an issue when i tried installing windows 10. But then again, seeing as I'm new to computers in general maybe it really is the PSU preventing the OS from booting correctly or something else.

Last edited:
You can test a PSU using the paper-clip method but that doesn't test it under load (which is what really matters) so it's not a foolproof test. Only way to reliably check if the PSU is causing a problem is to try a new one that's a good quality brand and genuinely powerful enough for system.

But the bottom line is that Apevia PSU needs changing regardless, then deal with remaining issues if there are any. Look at it this way, if you don't change a poor-quality PSU you'll always have a nagging doubt about it.

Reactions: Garen D

Garen D

Reputable
Jul 15, 2020
You can test a PSU using the paper-clip method but that doesn't test it under load (which is what really matters) so it's not a foolproof test. Only way to reliably check if the PSU is causing a problem is to try a new one that's a good quality brand and genuinely powerful enough for system.

But the bottom line is that Apevia PSU needs changing regardless, then deal with remaining issues if there are any. Look at it this way, if you don't change a poor-quality PSU you'll always have a nagging doubt about it.

I've already done the paperclip test on the Apevia PSU and it worked well in that regard. What I want to know is if its solely the PSU, someother hardware or a crappy installation of Windows 10 on my part. Hell, it could even be a problem with my BIOS settings. I was planning on changing this CPU with a Corsair CX 550 (Gray 2017) or MAYBE an EVGA 500 BR since I'm pretty sure these two would be a great alternative to anything Apevia unless I can find or am told about something better.