Question Windows 10 fresh install won’t boot

Oct 11, 2020
Ok so on my computer I just built I am trying to install windows on an ssd it has 500 GB of storage on there. So I go through the process of the download and then I had my pc restarting and when it boots back up it takes me into bios I’ve been trying to figure out what’s wrong for the past couple of hours.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what motherboard do you have?

if its a gigabyte it might have a mode in save & exit called Boot Override.

What you do is put usb in at boot
go into bios
set ssd/whatever as the boot drive
go to save & exit tab
boot override menu
pick the USB from list, it boots from it this one time and next will choose ssd as usual

Oct 11, 2020
what motherboard do you have?

if its a gigabyte it might have a mode in save & exit called Boot Override.

What you do is put usb in at boot
go into bios
set ssd/whatever as the boot drive
go to save & exit tab
boot override menu
pick the USB from list, it boots from it this one time and next will choose ssd as usual
I have an MSI b-365M PRO- VDH I mean in my bios it’s not telling me I can boot from an ssd but it says I do have one in storage

Colif

Win 11 Master
this is a joke - https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/M7C39v1.0.pdf

i hate the bios instructions on that manual, 2 pages????

its the fault of the makers,. on non overclocking boards they just don't tell you anything. In overclocking boards they tell you what every function does, so why do they skimp out on the others. Its like they think only overlockers need to know what things do in there...

sorry, its just... i don't know what their models are these days for overclocking boards. What CPU do you have?

in the first stage of windows install it runs off the usb until it copies itself onto the selected drive and on restart, it should be running off the ssd. But after the restart it should boot off the ssd.

is the new drive an nvme as they may not show in the boot order screen.

Oct 11, 2020
this is a joke - https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/M7C39v1.0.pdf

i hate the bios instructions on that manual, 2 pages????

its the fault of the makers,. on non overclocking boards they just don't tell you anything. In overclocking boards they tell you what every function does, so why do they skimp out on the others. Its like they think only overlockers need to know what things do in there...

sorry, its just... i don't know what their models are these days for overclocking boards. What CPU do you have?

in the first stage of windows install it runs off the usb until it copies itself onto the selected drive and on restart, it should be running off the ssd. But after the restart it should boot off the ssd.

is the new drive an nvme as they may not show in the boot order screen.
Yes so I did the install of windows where I got to pick the ssd but after I picked it it just didn’t boot into windows also I am sorry but I don’t know what an NVMe is but mine is a ADATA 6Gb/s SU720 if that helps.

Colif

Win 11 Master
nvme is just a faster format of ssd. I can tell from the speed of yours that its a sata 3 ssd.

since its brand new, you shouldn't have to change any settings in bios for it to install win 10. Did you update the bios before you started?

Maybe reset bios to defaults and try again. I can't find any conclusive evidence that it has a boot override menu. not a lot online about that board.

Now if your bios looks exactly the same internally as the one on the Z390 boards, on your Advanced Mode/Settings/Save & exit screen, there should be a Boot override choice.
The installed bootable devices will appear on this menu, you can select one of them to be the boot device.

This would be what to use for installing onto the ssd, and if it still doesn't work I would be going back to MSI and asking why.

Oct 11, 2020
I did not update the bios I do not have a cd drive to put it in, and it does have a boot override text but it’s grayed out under it it says UEFI Built in EFI Shell

Colif

Win 11 Master
cd drive? most of them let you install off USB
from your manual -
Before updating: Please download the latest BIOS file that matches your motherboard model from MSI website. And then save the BIOS file into the USB flash drive.
Updating BIOS:
  1. Press Del key to enter the BIOS Setup during POST.
  2. Insert the USB flash drive that contains the update file into the computer.
  3. Select the M-FLASH tab and click on Yes to reboot the system and enter the flash mode.
  4. Select a BIOS file to perform the BIOS update process.
  5. After the flashing process is 100% completed, the system will reboot automatically.

Colif

Win 11 Master
According to manual it shouldn't be difficult to install win 10
Installing Windows® 10
  1. Power on the computer.
  2. Insert the Windows® 10 installation disc/USB into your computer.
  3. Press the Restart button on the computer case.
  4. Press F11 key during the computer POST (Power-On Self Test) to get into Boot Menu.
  5. Select the Windows® 10 installation disc/USB from the Boot Menu.
  6. Press any key when screen shows Press any key to boot from CD or DVD... message.
  7. Follow the instructions on the screen to install Windows® 10.

Oct 11, 2020
According to manual it shouldn't be difficult to install win 10
Installing Windows® 10
  1. Power on the computer.
  2. Insert the Windows® 10 installation disc/USB into your computer.
  3. Press the Restart button on the computer case.
  4. Press F11 key during the computer POST (Power-On Self Test) to get into Boot Menu.
  5. Select the Windows® 10 installation disc/USB from the Boot Menu.
  6. Press any key when screen shows Press any key to boot from CD or DVD... message.
  7. Follow the instructions on the screen to install Windows® 10.
Ok so when I press f11 it doesn’t show up my ssd as a boot device.

Oct 11, 2020
cd drive? most of them let you install off USB
from your manual -
Before updating: Please download the latest BIOS file that matches your motherboard model from MSI website. And then save the BIOS file into the USB flash drive.
Updating BIOS:
  1. Press Del key to enter the BIOS Setup during POST.
  2. Insert the USB flash drive that contains the update file into the computer.
  3. Select the M-FLASH tab and click on Yes to reboot the system and enter the flash mode.
  4. Select a BIOS file to perform the BIOS update process.
  5. After the flashing process is 100% completed, the system will reboot automatically.
Ok so I tried to update the bios by doing the m flash thing but the files I downloaded aren’t popping up on the drive.

Oct 11, 2020
You have to download the latest one only (7C39v13) and extract what's inside to the drive.
Ok so I downloaded the latest bios and flashes and installed it but my ssd still only pops up when I’m in CSM mode but then I can’t download windows. If I switch to UEFI it takes away my ssd from the boot priority.

Colif

Win 11 Master
you can install win 10 on MBR but it shouldn't be acting that way. It should treat the drive the same regardless of boot mode. In the bios, is there a mode called secure erase? I think i saw that when looking through the Z390 manual earler. it should be in the settings menu.

if you can wipe whatever aborted install of win 10 you have on ssd, it should show up in either install type.

Oct 11, 2020
you can install win 10 on MBR but it shouldn't be acting that way. It should treat the drive the same regardless of boot mode. In the bios, is there a mode called secure erase? I think i saw that when looking through the Z390 manual earler. it should be in the settings menu.

if you can wipe whatever aborted install of win 10 you have on ssd, it should show up in either install type.
Well I’ve cleared my ssd before by doing diskpart select disk then clean. I really don’t know what else I can do I mean in CMS it tells me that I can boot from the SSD but when I switch to UEFI I can’t boot from the SSD but then while I’m on CMS I can’t download windows 10 from the usb.