Windows 10 from AMD to Intel

Phil86

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
Hi,

so im just upgrading my System, from an AMD CPU and Mobo to an Intel one.

Ive been told that eventhough i linked my License to my Microsoft Account i cant just use it like that, is that true?? What do i need to do then?

And second. i dont know if its possible to just upgrade the Hardware and then safely boot from Disc to reinstall WIndows.

Id do it this way: First clean install Win10 on the old combo, then without installing any drivers assemble the new hardware into the case, and then boot from disc and reinstall WIn10 again. should that work properly?? As far as i know i cannot Formate my OS Drive so that its completley wiped, Windows will just let me clean install it, or have i missed someting?

Thanks for your help.

Solution

Yes. Do the install on teh new system, as, whether you install manually drivers or not, windows will pollute itself with them automatically if you install on teh old one.
If you have an OEM version of Windows, you will need a new license as it is tied to your motherboard.
If you have a retail version, build your new system, attach the drive, start the WIn install and format your suystem drive during the install process.

Phil86

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
Okay sounds good, never had to upgrade from AMD to intel....im used to just smash windows on it again. But i have the retail version. So ill basically just reinstall Windows completley and ill be fine ?

Yes. Do the install on teh new system, as, whether you install manually drivers or not, windows will pollute itself with them automatically if you install on teh old one.

Solution