Question Windows 10 Froze and now only boots BIOS.

Mortified92

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
I am at my Wits End here. This morning I found my computer frozen and whenever I clicked the Windows start button in prompted me that it stopped working and to "End Process". I clicked that and nothing happened. I manually restarted the PC and now it just loads into BIOS every time and not Windows.

I've built this PC November 2021 and have had no issues until now.

I've researched a lot of trouble shooting methods but have found no solution yet. Windows is installed on my Samsung evo 970 1TB SSD.

When in BIOS this shows up as my storage option but there is no boot device. I've enabled CSM to get it to show as a bootable device but now when I restart it tells me to "Reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

I've insert a Windows installation drive to try and repair Windows and that doesn't work. Also tried restoring to a restore point around 1am last night (which I'm wondering if that's when it originally froze) and that didn't work.

The only thing I haven't done was remove some battery on my motherboard for 5 minutes. That would force me to remove my GPU to do so and would like to avoid messing with my hardware if I could.

Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 14196

Your drive most likely failed. You can run the windows installer from a USB and try to reinstall windows or at least to repair windows installation. If you can get that far, you can check the volume for errors.

Mortified92

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
Your drive most likely failed. You can run the windows installer from a USB and try to reinstall windows or at least to repair windows installation. If you can get that far, you can check the volume for errors.

Both windows repair and installation are not working.

What do you mean check the volume?

Mortified92

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
When I ran CHKDSK this was the result

Errors detected in the uppercase file.

Windows has checked the file system and found problems.
Run CHKDSK with the /F option to correct these.

3086KB total disk space.
4KB in 9 indexes.
0KB in bad sectors.
2485KB in use by the system.
2048KB occupied by the log file.
597KB available on disk

512 bytes in each allocation unit.
6173 total allocation units on disk.
1195 allocation units available on disk.

When I ran the CHKDSK /f it tells me.
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.
Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected.