Windows 10 "full version" question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob147

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Hello, I hope someone can help a poor newbie out, I have assembled a brand new PC from scratch and it seems I underestimated the complexity of buying windows for a new system. I have tried to figure it out myself, but I can't seem to find anything that answers my question.

So my question is: what am I getting if I buy the "Microsoft Windows 10 Home - Full Version (32 & 64-bit)" from newegg, Will I be able to change out any part I want, like the mobo or hard drive and my copy still be valid? Or, if I decide to make an entirely new PC in the future will I be able to use the same key? Or do OS just not work like that? (and yes, of course I know it will only work on one PC at a time, I am not that much of a noob.)

Solution
If its a full retail version and you build a new system,and put old one out to pasture,you shouldn't have to call anyone, you should just be able to install your retail version without having to make any calls to MS, isn't that why you pay extra for retail,so you don't have to ask permission or come up with some sob story to microsoft that your motherboard crapped out,and if their having a bad day they may say no,you have to buy new one, that's why I buy retail and not OEM, I don't wanna have to make any calls to microsoft.
With the full retail version (Home = $119.99, Pro = $199.99), your license key will carry over to a new build. You will need to call the Microsoft automated activation system, tell it that the license is connected to one PC, and enter in a bunch of confirmation numbers on the screen to deactivate the key from the old hardware and activate it on the new hardware.

Bob147

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

So there is no way to buy a 'no strings attached' version of windows? How is the full version different than an OEM version?

I think N3rdR4ge is getting the OEM confused with the retail.

Retail = NO STRINGS ATTACHED. You can install a retail copy of windows on any pc you want.
OEM = Strings attached. That OS is tied to your computers motherboard.

I have a Windows 8.1 Pro retail key (non-OEM) and recently upgraded my motherboard. I was able to transfer the license to the new motherboard by calling the activation system without a hitch. So yes, you can transfer a retail license to new hardware that way as long as it is active on one PC at a time.

Supporting this post:

I bought a copy of windows 8 pro retail when it was $20.99 for a few months 2 years ago and put it on my laptop. Once I built my new PC I had no problems switching my retail copy of windows 8 pro to my new PC.

Geezer760

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009

Geezer760

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
If its a full retail version and you build a new system,and put old one out to pasture,you shouldn't have to call anyone, you should just be able to install your retail version without having to make any calls to MS, isn't that why you pay extra for retail,so you don't have to ask permission or come up with some sob story to microsoft that your motherboard crapped out,and if their having a bad day they may say no,you have to buy new one, that's why I buy retail and not OEM, I don't wanna have to make any calls to microsoft.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.