Question Windows 10 Gaming Black Screen Crash and Restart

Jun 15, 2020
Hello everyone,

I recently (May 2020) build a new PC with the following components:
ProcessorAMD Ryzen 5 3600
MemoryCORSAIR Vengeance LPX Black Heat spreader 16 GB (x2)
SSDSAMSUNG 860 QVO, 1 TB
PSUCORSAIR VS550 2018
MotherboardMSI B450M-A Pro Max
Graphics CardSAPPHIRE Radeon Pulse RX 5700 XT 8GB
OSWindows 10 Pro

Soon after I started getting random crashes. Not a bluescreen, just directly to a black screen. Afterwards, the PC restarts itself. Every crash is preceded by tearing effects. There are no Dumpfiles, no error codes, nothing.
There is a bit of a pattern to the crashes though. It only happens when gaming, and especially frequently when tabbing in or out of the game. Games in question: No Man's Sky, Stellaris, Grey Goo, Hitman: Absolution, Assassin's Creed: Origins.

I checked the temperatures with Open Hardware Monitor, highest was the GPU at 68°C, which to my knowledge is not unusual under load.
I also updated my drivers and my OS to the latest update, no change. Then I reverted my drivers to 19.12.3, which stopped the crashes in Stellaris and possibly Assassin's Creed (pending more testing), but now No Man's Sky crashes (which it did not do beforehand).

I found this thread with a similar problem. There the solution was a new PSU, which I will try as soon as I get my hands on one. However, since that could still take a while (and the PSU is less than two months old), I would be glad for any other suggestions.

Jul 5, 2020
Hi Arnad,

I found your post, because I had the same with my new build PC. I am also using AMD Hardware, the same GPU, the 3900 CPU and found out these things:
If you check your windows error log, you can see an AppModel-Runtime Error which has the Error Code 87 and has normally to do with a corrupted Windows Registry.
There are some tools to repair it, but since today was the first time that error happened to me (while gaming), I'm not really sure how to continue.
Maybe you can check, if your error log shows a simular analysis. That I think, would help both of us :)

All the best, take care,
Timo

Jun 15, 2020
I experimented with switching out the PSU and the GPU and for a while thought that was it. To no avail, crashed again yesterday. Looking into the Event Viewer yields the following for the time of the crash:
Critical: Kernel-Power (Event ID 41) - The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first.
Error: volmgr (Event ID 161) - Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.
Error: EventLog (Event ID 6008) - The previous system shutdown at 21:11:07 on ‎15/‎07/‎2020 was unexpected.
Error: BugCheck (Event ID 1001 - The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000116 ...

I presume my problem stems from the BugCheck. I found this answer on answers.microsoft.com (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...00000116/1a373477-7055-4ca2-b8c7-c7c1a8022f69) which is pretty comprehensive and am currently following along with the suggestions to see if I can find the cause.

Jul 5, 2020
That sounds promising in the first place :). I had the same Issue (Event ID 41) and tried scanning my windows system for problems and found Error 87 - Then I repaired it with the command health repair. A good guide can be found here:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image
That, together with reinstalling my graphics driver and the latest windows updates fixed the Problem so far.
I let you know if the problem will remain in the future and if I then try your BugCheck :).

I wish you all the best and that it fixes ur system.
Timo

Last edited: