Windows 10 Going Corrupt 2 Times In 3 Months

Metsfan86

Commendable
Dec 12, 2016
Hey everyone. I bought a prebuilt computer about 10 months ago (specs down below) and the first 10 months went flawless. No problems, good for gaming and school. Then out of the blue my computer crashed and Windows went corrupt. I didn't think it was a big deal, stuff happens. I fixed it with a bootable Windows 10 usb. Then I was all good and dandy for about a month and a half when now my Windows data was not saving. I solved this issue by making a new account and we were good. Yesterday, the data was not saving again so I knew something was up. Basically it said preparing Windows then something along the line as we have logged you into a temporary account nothing will be saved yada yada. I read somewhere that resetting your bios settings to default could potentially save this issue. That's where I'm at now, no matter what I do, it boots me to the bios menu. Even if I exit the bios menu it brings me back to it. I'm pretty sure this is because my Windows went corrupt again. The main question is, it my hard drive? What do I do from here, any advice will help! Thanks!

Specs:

Gtx 960 2gb

I5 6400k

8 GB DDR4

1 Tb hdd

Solution
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB << its a handy boot drive if nothing else

see if you can get to start up repair
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

another option is run chkdsk
boot from installer, on 2nd screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type chkdsk c: /f and press enter

this will check system files and confirm they OK. May not work if drive is formatted as GPT...

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB << its a handy boot drive if nothing else

see if you can get to start up repair
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

another option is run chkdsk
boot from installer, on 2nd screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type chkdsk c: /f and press enter

this will check system files and confirm they OK. May not work if drive is formatted as GPT

once we get windows working we can try to work out what is the cause

Solution