Question Windows 10 GPU Hardware Scheduling - Does it use your dGPU instead of iGPU, or does it offload tasks from CPU to your dGPU?

ShangWang

Reputable
Mar 26, 2021
I tried getting advice from someone else and they were telling me turning on hardware accelerated options uses your dGPU instead of your iGPU, but I thought it offloads tasks from your CPU to dGPU so I'm confused.

For example I thought h.624 on discord uses your dGPU to help render video rather than your CPU itself, not your iGPU for the CPU.

On Windows 10, should you turn on Hardware accelerated GPU scheduling only if your dGPU is better than your CPU and it's not the bottleneck?

I'm using the Acer Nitro 5 AN515-53 with the i5-8300H CPU and 1050 Geforce GTX dGPU. My dGPU technically bottlenecks since it's usually at 100% when playing games and my CPU is around 50% usage on heavy graphic games.

Would any GPU accelerated hardware option be less beneficial for me since I would be losing out on performance that my dGPU can pump out if it wasn't being utilized for something else?

Do other things like DX12 work better for me since it utilizes the CPU more?

USAFRet

Titan
This is a laptop?

Generally, they move back and forth between the iGPU and dGPU, as the workload dictates.

You absolutely should not have to mess with this.

But since you apparently have messed with it, have you seen ANY performance change?

ShangWang

Reputable
Mar 26, 2021
This is a laptop?

Generally, they move back and forth between the iGPU and dGPU, as the workload dictates.

You absolutely should not have to mess with this.

But since you apparently have messed with it, have you seen ANY performance change?
No, not at all but I'm curious about what would be optimal in my case. I have maybe seen a bit of stuttering by turning acceleration off but it might just be a concidence when I was streaming a game on discord.

I just know some people find hardware acceleration useful so I dived into the option on discord and Windows 10 graphic settings.

Does the option move the workload from iGPU to dGPU, or the CPU itself to dGPU?

TRENDING THREADS