Windows 10 Graphics Issues in Gaming

nick8876

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
I don't downright hate Windows 10. It was a free upgrade, so I thought, "why the heck not"?

The OS itself is pretty good but ever since I upgraded I've been having graphics issues in numerous games, but I'm not sure if this is a software issue or a hardware issue, or if it's just a game specific issue that I'm not aware of.

Here's a list of some of the games I've been having issues with (all Steam games):
Dead Rising 3 (This is the most recent one; shadow and texture flickering; weird line effects on shadows)
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga (texture flickering; missing eyes with custom character)
Borderlands (really bad texture and shadow flickering; the menu went crazy when I loaded the game)
The Witcher (texture flickering)

Here my specs:
Windows 10 Home x64
AMD FX-8350 4Ghz Processor (Non-overclock)
2x8GB 1600mhz Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 RAM (Dual channel)
Crucial MX200 500GB SSD (Boot Device; does contain some games)
WD 1TB 7200RPM HDD (Contains a large chunk of games)
EVGA 600B PSU 600w
Gigabyte GTX 660 OC Edition 2GB

I rolled back the video driver to a pre-Win10 version (347.88) and no luck. Issues still persist. Updated to latest driver but I'm unsure if it will fix anything. Next on my list is to re-seat my GPU into my other PCIx16 slot. Again, not sure if it will help, but I'm willing to try just about everything at this point. But I am certain that I never experienced these problems before upgrading to Win10, especially with Borderlands and DR3.

What do you guys think? I'm not a great troubleshooter so I welcome your feedback.

Solution
you cant put the gpu in any slot but the top one, placing it in any other produces a bios error. go into your device manager and see if anything has an exclamation point on it meaning it doesn't have the proper driver. otherwise I am unsure, there are too many factors you probably don't know how to explore and too tedious to guess at one of the hundreds of possible culprits.

Baumy15

Reputable
May 12, 2014

downclock the gpu memory and core (50Mhz on core, 100-200Mhz on memory) and retest. remove all overclockes on anything, make sure you are using a reliable GPU driver (only 361.43 works reliable for me otherwise its crashes) otherwise it could be nvidia wanting you to buy a new gpu

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
you cant put the gpu in any slot but the top one, placing it in any other produces a bios error. go into your device manager and see if anything has an exclamation point on it meaning it doesn't have the proper driver. otherwise I am unsure, there are too many factors you probably don't know how to explore and too tedious to guess at one of the hundreds of possible culprits.

Solution