Windows 10 hanging after new memory install

Oct 4, 2018
I'm trying to add memory to my desktop from 16gb to 32gb on a gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3 mb. i bought the exact same memory as was already running (g-skill f3-1600c9d-16gxm).

All 32gb is recognized in bios, but windows hangs during the loading process (it just loads forever).

It works with just the new memory (and passed the windows memory diagnostic) or with 3 sticks. I can't say I've tried all 24 combinations of the 4 sticks, but all of the combos I have tried have failed.

The bios is updated (F12) and I've also played around with increasing the voltage from 2.5v to 2.6 volts to no avail.

Any other ideas before I give up and return the memory? Thanks!

Ram is sold in kits that have been tested to work together in Dual Channel to avoid issues you may encounter with mismatched ram.
You might think you bought the same exact memory, they may look similar, or they may have the same model number but the IC chip may even be made by different RAM chip manufacturer.
That's why manufacturers and vendors won't provide support for that configuration.
Your RAM may have compatibility issues when paired with another module that was not tested to work in tandem with your module.

They might work in single channel and I think that 's the reason 3 sticks configuration is working.
Dual Channel memory mode will double the memory bandwidth, so your RAM will run slower on single channel.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try loading bios defaults

Yesterday i put in two new sticks of ddr2 sodim 2x4GB. Originally it had 2x 2GB. After putting them in the laptop booted fine but Windows7 was quite slow to load and desktop graphic theme was miss placed, just had border outlines but no text or icon graphics. Remembering where shutdown icon is, it shut down fine, went into bios and first tried loading bios defaults before removing the cmos battery and that worked for me. After loading bios defaults Windows loaded fine. Laptop bios and Windows 7 reads all memory.

Of course, hardware and software is different but thought to share that and see if loading bios defaults or clearing cmos helps you.

Oct 4, 2018
I've tried loading the bios defaults. Looks like the ram just isn't compatible. So I guess my only options are to return the ram and just stick with 16gb or buy a new kit with 4 8gb sticks. Thanks all!

Oct 4, 2018
So I bought an entire new set of memory (https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16820231487), and I'm still having the exact same issue. Again, o haven't tried all 24 combinations, but three sticks works and four sticks does not. With 4 sticks it is hanging at the windows 10 login.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Can you boot safemode?

You said earlier 2.5 ~ 2.6v, whats this for exactly? If for dram, 2 would be a typo because 2v is way too high. 1.65v max.

May have to adjust frequency and timings manually if xmp is not working.

Change overclock to manual

Memory timings

Command rate 2T or 1T. Try 2T if it's set to 1T

Dram voltage 1.5v

What cpu do you have and cooling? May need to add some more cpu voltage by .5v

Too much heatsink pressure if on too tight can also cause memory issues.

Oct 4, 2018
The voltage I quoted earlier was a typo. I meant 1.5 and 1.6V for the memory voltage.

Yes, it'll load in safe mode.

All of the frequency and timing settings you listed were what I have (Command Rate was set to 2, and I tried changing this to 1 with no luck).

I'm running a i-7 2600K 3.4GHz. And do you mean increasing this voltage by .05V or .5V? Which line in bios should I be looking for? CPU VCore (currently at 1.140V)? By the way, it's not being overclocked and I'm not sure about the cooler. It says "Intel E41759-002", but the amazon link to this cooler seems to be for an i5. https://www.amazon.com/Intel-E41759-002-Aluminum-Connector-2-66GHz/dp/B003YMFNFI#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div

As an aside, I'm now wondering if I've been running an inferior cooler for 7 years as my CPU temp is 87C, which seems high. I haven't touched the cooler/heat sink since I built the computer in 2011.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah cpu vcore is the one. im running it at 1.32v but thats overclocked 4.5 with Noctua D14 cooler. I wouldn't raise it much higher with those temps but you could try say 1.2v and turn off Hyperthreading in cpu configuration which'll reduce heat a bit or at least to test 1.2v at idle.

So it might be voltage related.

Seeing as you can boot to safemode, maybe do a selective startup? Msconfig > general > selective startup and uncheck startup items. Theres another tab beside general called startup, think selective startup disables those. Suggesting this just in case it's not memory related but software.

Could also test all memory in using memtest: https://www.memtest86.com/

Create usb boot with it. Think from memory theres a utility in the download that can use to prepare usb stick.