[SOLVED] Windows 10 hanging

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
So the last few days my computer would just hang out of nowhere.
The only way I can make it work is, to hard restart it that is it.
I didn't try anything or any troubleshooting because I don't actually know what to do honestly.
My temps are more than fine, I keep an eye on them always and they don't seem to get too hot honestly.
My specs are in my signature down below. Recently I changed my CPU but I didn't actually do a full clean install of windows, so am not sure if that is the problem or not.

Thank you in advance to anyone who will help.

NOTE:
I don't get any blue screen of death by the way, it just sits there doing nothing.

Solution
To shortly summarize what you write:
  • Temperatures and voltages seem fine, but need to be tested under load, hence why I suggest OCCT. I don't know the Intel tool and if it can be used for that.
  • You doesn't provide any details from event viewer, only the list view.

My old 300 GB drive said that there are 6 bad sectors on it but the windows are on my SDD.
Thing is that any internal storage device that doesn't respond may cause the OS to not respond. Therefore this enlightenment is important and may explain why your windows sometimes goes unresponsive.

Therefore - replacing your old HDD is the most likely way to get rid of the problem. You may try to run the computer a period of some days without the old drive in order...

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
Well, not really.
When it hangs I would wait for like a minute or two but nothing really happens so I just hard restart it.
Also, no there is no actual time when it hangs.
I could play for 8 hours and nothing happens, but then I would quit the game go get a snack or something and find the pc frozen.
And not really, I didn't install anything else, I also use the windows 10 firewall so yeah.

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
Well, not really.
When it hangs I would wait for like a minute or two but nothing really happens so I just hard restart it.
Also, no there is no actual time when it hangs.
I could play for 8 hours and nothing happens, but then I would quit the game go get a snack or something and find the pc frozen.
And not really, I didn't install anything else, I also use the windows 10 firewall so yeah.

EDIT:
i just read what you said again, honestly so far for the past like 4 days, it hangs like 3 times in total that's it.

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
Well, everything except the virus thing did not make any sense here.

But yes, in theory - malware infections may get windows to hang. You should at least check it out. How long since Windows was installed from scratch?
Well, my pc gets deep scanned a few times a day, and it gives back nothing.
I don't really have any viruses as I don't really download random stuff.
I have a sandbox environment that I would test a program in or a file before actually opening it on the pc itself.
The windows were freshly installed like a year ago or so, it doesn't bother me to reinstall a fresh copy of windows honestly it would be done within half an hour because of the SSD i have.

You probably want to do steps in an order that start with the least time consuming task, and that will be:
  • Get the S.M.A.R.T. data from your storage device and post it here. You can use several programs for that, like HDD sentinel, Crystaldiskinfo, etc. Copy the data and post it here.
  • Try run a stress test (OCCT, Catzilla, etc). Watch temperatures and voltages (upload screen shot if out of ordinary)
  • Test integrity of RAM. You'll use Memtest86+ for that.
  • Then - if none of the mentioned test reveals anything wrong - you can try to reinstall Windows. Or - you may want to do this as the first step, especially if you have installed many programs. Remember backups first (old rumors say you may loose files upon windows install).
If none of the above steps make any differences, we have to try to start removing parts to see if any is responsible for the problem.

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
You probably want to do steps in an order that start with the least time consuming task, and that will be:
  • Get the S.M.A.R.T. data from your storage device and post it here. You can use several programs for that, like HDD sentinel, Crystaldiskinfo, etc. Copy the data and post it here.
  • Try run a stress test (OCCT, Catzilla, etc). Watch temperatures and voltages (upload screen shot if out of ordinary)
  • Test integrity of RAM. You'll use Memtest86+ for that.
  • Then - if none of the mentioned test reveals anything wrong - you can try to reinstall Windows. Or - you may want to do this as the first step, especially if you have installed many programs. Remember backups first (old rumors say you may loose files upon windows install).
If none of the above steps make any differences, we have to try to start removing parts to see if any is responsible for the problem.

So, I downloaded HDD sent, and I don't really know what to do with it.
But I took this screenshot, from my SSD, and both my SSD and my 2 TB HDD has no problems and say its PERFECT.
My old 300 GB drive said that there are 6 bad sectors on it but the windows are on my SDD.
For the stress test, can't intel utility be used? because I never used OCCT etc or any of those before.
I used cinabench to see my benchmark and that is it.

HDD Sent pic:
View: https://imgur.com/cnDUSun

Also, I did overclock my new CPU to 4.8 GHz, but I never changed the voltage or anything, I just changed the multiplier and I enabled XMP and that is it.
And it was stable ever since I overclocked it.

For the meemtest, I never used it either so yeah.

EDIT:
I checked my event viewer and last 7 days it shows I have 5 critical errors or whatever, so I took this screenshot in case it helps.

View: https://imgur.com/De9s3Z5

ANOTHER EDIT: (Sorry)

So this picture is for the temp before running cinabench20 showing the voltages etc, I am not really sure what is normal voltage and what is not normal, some people might know about that more than me.

Picture before the run:

View: https://imgur.com/UoqMpQN

I ran the test, and the max temp I got was on the package which reached 64C and core 0 as well, but the rest of the cores were around 63-62 and there was no crashing.
The Package voltage max got 93.02W IA core 86.56W uncore 6.90W DRAM 2.45W.

Once the test finished my temp's dropped to the normal range which you can see in the picture before the run, I tried taking a picture right after the test has ended but the temp's dropped as soon as it ended so there was no use of me taking a picture.
But this picture will show the Max temp of the CPU and voltages etc.

View: https://imgur.com/Ri1WWkn

Last edited:
  • Temperatures and voltages seem fine, but need to be tested under load, hence why I suggest OCCT. I don't know the Intel tool and if it can be used for that.

Thing is that any internal storage device that doesn't respond may cause the OS to not respond. Therefore this enlightenment is important and may explain why your windows sometimes goes unresponsive.

Therefore - replacing your old HDD is the most likely way to get rid of the problem. You may try to run the computer a period of some days without the old drive in order to see if the problem rectifies.

Solution

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019

Therefore - replacing your old HDD is the most likely way to get rid of the problem. You may try to run the computer a period of some days without the old drive in order to see if the problem rectifies.

Well, the event viewer says that the computer did not shut down properly somehow or it crashed.
That's basically what the critical error is.
The old hard drive has some of my games on it, I am waiting for some money to buy another 4 TB or so hard drive because am running low on storage and keep having to delete some games from time to time so yeah.
Also, I don't really know how to use OCCT, if you could send a link or something that explains what I have to do would be good.
Also, I installed memetest86 on a USB drive and I will try to run it tonight when I have free time and see if there are any errors from the test.
Also, I don't really think its from voltages because i could play for like 7 hours straight or even 6 and nothing would happen.
It's just so random.

Last edited:
Also, I don't really know how to use OCCT, if you could send a link or something that explains what I have to do would be good.
Just google OCCT, then choose "videos" and you'll see several how-to's.

Also, I don't really think its from voltages because i could play for like 7 hours straight or even 6 and nothing would happen.
It's just so random.
Well, you've kind of narrowed down the possible sources of the problem.

I said "kind of", because there doesn't exist any software that can really say anything about PSU, voltage regulators and capacitors on motherboard - unless the GPU is really trashed (so bad that it cannot hold the voltage levels).

But monitoring temperatures gives valuable information because you can figure if some component cannot get rid of heat properly.