[SOLVED] Windows 10 hangs up when opening apps and stuck on restart spinning circle

Feb 13, 2021
Hello Community:
I have ravaged the internet and exhausted my tech prowess to solve my PCs issue.
First of all here is my specs:
MB: MSI MEG ACE X570
CPU: 3900x
Cooler: H100i
Ram : Tried 32gb corsair vengeance RGB 3200mhz and 32gb Vengeance LPX 3000mhz
GPU: EVGA 2080 XC Ultra
Windows 10
SSD: WD 500gb nvme ~ 4 years old
4 more storage drives various size/brand
PSU: 750w EVGA G2 supernova

Issue Present: After reboot, no problems for a while, then at (seemingly) random times, all applications currently open work as intended, no issue, but trying to open any other applications hangs the windows system, and tsk manager wont open, and if i try to shut down, i get the infinite spinning rings. This happens with out fail and i have to hard reset.

Steps taken:
Windows system file verification - no issues

Reinstall of windows, wipe windows drive -- no change even on barebones windows system

Memory Test: Thought the memory was not freeing up for new processes - 2 errors on test 6: CPU 4 and 10 -- swapped memory out for older set, no change

Increased the windows virtual memory allocation -- no change

I don't have to resources on hand to swap the CPU and mobo unless its the last thing i have to do.

The way it hangs up is it feels like it doesn't have memory free to run the next task.

About a year ago my CPU fell out of the socket when i changed the cooler. I bent a corner pin, did emergency surgery and bent it back, ran with no issue until about 2 weeks ago. Could this be the hang up?

Solution
No FrankenRAM going on here. I only have the old set in now, and i received the same errors on MEMTEST with the old ram. Test 6 CPU 4 and 10 fail the test. So its making me lean toward a damaged CPU, even though the pins are all still there.

As for the drives, yes I am running into the same issues with just my boot drive installed/connected to PSU.

Hmm, that you're getting the identical error with two sets of RAM smells like a memory controller issue (which is one reason it was suggested to check the pins). Tell me: how tightly is your fan mounted? The symptoms you're showing makes me wonder if you have your mount too tight as that can cause RAM issues due to this. It's a significant enough concern that even if loosening it...
Feb 13, 2021
I defiantly have inspected it a couple times and the pins are all intact.

I just ran a drive health tool on the Windows drive and got this report, I'm not too sure if the red x is bad and could be corrupting the OS. Any input from the experts?

Drive-Capture.png

DSzymborski

Titan
I defiantly have inspected it a couple times and the pins are all intact.

I just ran a drive health tool on the Windows drive and got this report, I'm not too sure if the red x is bad and could be corrupting the OS. Any input from the experts?

Drive-Capture.png

Did you not try to remove all the drives but the OS drive? I don't see it in your list. It's best, when diagnosing a PC with tricky symptoms to simplify the build as much as possible. When you talk about the old set, do you mean you only had the old set in? And did you MEMTEST the old set as well? The explanation isn't quite clear and I want to eliminate the possibility that you have a FrankenRAM situation.

Feb 13, 2021
Did you not try to remove all the drives but the OS drive? I don't see it in your list. It's best, when diagnosing a PC with tricky symptoms to simplify the build as much as possible. When you talk about the old set, do you mean you only had the old set in? And did you MEMTEST the old set as well? The explanation isn't quite clear and I want to eliminate the possibility that you have a FrankenRAM situation.

No FrankenRAM going on here. I only have the old set in now, and i received the same errors on MEMTEST with the old ram. Test 6 CPU 4 and 10 fail the test. So its making me lean toward a damaged CPU, even though the pins are all still there.

As for the drives, yes I am running into the same issues with just my boot drive installed/connected to PSU.

DSzymborski

Titan

Hmm, that you're getting the identical error with two sets of RAM smells like a memory controller issue (which is one reason it was suggested to check the pins). Tell me: how tightly is your fan mounted? The symptoms you're showing makes me wonder if you have your mount too tight as that can cause RAM issues due to this. It's a significant enough concern that even if loosening it doesn't fix the problem, I'd throw on a cheap AM4 heatsink just to make sure. You've eliminated most of the easy, inexpensive fixes.

Solution