[SOLVED] Windows 10 has front and rear speakers confused

Feb 1, 2021
I recently built a new PC and have been working for a few days to narrow an audio issue down. I don't get any audio out of my computer speakers when connected to the rear jack, but they work fine when connected to the front jack. So far I have the issue narrowed down to how Windows sees my speakers: When I go into control panel > sound > speakers > configure speakers, I get the following behavior:
  1. If I tell windows that I have stereo speakers, I get no sound at all.
  2. If I tell windows that I have quadraphonic speakers, I can hear the test sound out of my front left speaker when I test the rear left (same for right side). I still get no sound when testing the front speakers.

It appears to me that Windows somehow thinks my front desktop speakers are rear speakers, which leads me to think that I need to somehow flip the speaker assignment so that Windows knows they are front speakers.

Thank you, any help would be appreciated.
Adam

Specs:
Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard
Ryzen 7 3800X CPU
MSI GeForce 1660 TI GPU
32GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM
1TB M.2 SSD
THX Computer speakers w/ Subwoofer

Solution
My motherboard doesn't have normal colored jacks, but I am plugged into the one labeled "rear speaker out".
You have to connect your speakers to Line Out instead.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Check if the correct 3.5mm plugs are are connected to the correct motherboard 3.5mm sockets at the back of the pc. (For 2.1 Speakers its usually the green one)
Try to find out with it connected as it should why there is a problem.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021
What front/rear speakers are you talking about?
Logitech z623 is 2.1 speaker system. It has no rear speakers.

z623-feature-1.png
That's my issue, windows seems to think that I have rear speakers. When I configure them as stereo, I get no sound whatsoever. When I configure them as quadraphonic, I hear the rear speaker test audio out of my speakers. I have no idea why I hear audio when configured as 4.1 but not as 2.1.

Feb 1, 2021
Check if the correct 3.5mm plugs are are connected to the correct motherboard 3.5mm sockets at the back of the pc. (For 2.1 Speakers its usually the green one)
Try to find out with it connected as it should why there is a problem.
My motherboard doesn't have normal colored jacks, but I am plugged into the one labeled "rear speaker out".