Windows 10 Hates Me!

SethS

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
So heres the information/problem:

I upgrade to windows 10 and I get this error: "Failed on SAFE_OS on Install_Recovery_Environment operation"
I do a clean install and it works however now I need to buy a product key.

I've tried: Clean boot, unplugging all unused sata, usb, wireless pcie card.
Another problem is: I called microsoft and spent 2 hours with them and they didn't solve my problem (Eventually they just go tired of me and dropped my call)

Any idea guys?? Heres exactly what happens:"Upgrading to windows"> freezes at 25% (copying files 84% > installing features and drivers/configuring settings) I then have to do a force restart becasue I let it sit for 12 hours hoping it would progress(It didnt) then it says "restoring previous version of windows" rather than resuming upgrade. then it gives me the error written above.

(I am upgrading from Win7 sp1 OEM)

Solution
Strange.... try rebooting first, then it might just be a matter of waiting a bit while it evaluates the system. I'm not sure how to force it to check the system though... haven't dug too far into that tool.
Seems it's trying to set up the recovery environment, and couldn't, so it just sat there at the same progress level.

I would reinstall 7 and do the upgrade again. When you're setting up the partitions for the drive, delete all partitions on the drive you want to install to first, and then click the New button. It should create the main partition that 7 will be installed to, along with a separate partition for the recovery environment (should be about 350MB in size). Once 7 is installed, do the upgrade to 10 right away. No need to buy a license for 10 when you can still get the free upgrade.

SethS

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013

ok will try

SethS

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013

No dice, unlike the previous times, this time I got a "Something has happened: Windows 10 Upgrade failed" which as not happened to me yet.

Could be some compatibility issue causing the failure... If it reverted back to 7 ok, make sure the Get Windows 10 app is installed via this KB: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583

Once you have that, go to the Check your PC section and see if it identifies any issues.

If you had to reinstall 7 again, make sure you have all of your drivers loaded for any and all hardware attached to the system first, then run the tool above.

Edit: This article from ZDNet shows the tool with screenshots: http://www.zdnet.com/article/will-your-pc-run-windows-10-use-this-well-hidden-compatibility-checker-to-find-out/

SethS

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013

Ok, so i've reserved windows 10, but It refuses to let me download it, so how i've been trying to install it is through media creation tool. I don't know if that is the problem, because I can't see how, but maybe.

The Check your pc just says "This report isn't available right now"