[SOLVED] Windows 10 HDD Cloning

Jack10525

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
I have an older dell optiplex desktop that I am trying to upgrade the mechanical hard drive to SSD. I've done this in the past many times but can't remember what free software I used. I've tried easeus, macrium, and 1 more I can't recall. The old hdd is 500 gb and the new is only 120 gb. I've formated the new drive so it is empty. I am using a usb to sata cable to connect the ssd. Can't get it to copy. There is only 40gb used on the 500 gb hdd. Not sure what else to other than buy a larger drive.

Solution
You will have to resize the C partition to 120Gb or lower, since the rest is empty it's going to be pretty easy, just use the free Mydefrag to defrag the disk with the option data disk monthly so all the files are on the beginning of the disk then use the partition manager to reduce the size of C to less than 120Gb.
You can use windows inbuild disk management to do all of this.

Edit:
Actually try the cloning right after defragging since the partition resizing works only up to the point where the farthest away from the start file is so cloning could have the same limitation.
You will have to resize the C partition to 120Gb or lower, since the rest is empty it's going to be pretty easy, just use the free Mydefrag to defrag the disk with the option data disk monthly so all the files are on the beginning of the disk then use the partition manager to reduce the size of C to less than 120Gb.
You can use windows inbuild disk management to do all of this.

Edit:
Actually try the cloning right after defragging since the partition resizing works only up to the point where the farthest away from the start file is so cloning could have the same limitation.

Solution