Question Windows 10 HDD to SDD...

SPECOPS70

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
hows it going.

OK I just reinstalled windows on my HDD. I bought a 120gb SSD. I want to use that SSD as a boot drive and the HDD for everything else.

The reason I dont just install windows straight onto SSD is because the HDD came with windows already installed on it. I dont want to see the Activate windows on the bottom right.

How can I move windows from HDD to SDD?

checked out several youtube vids. But i would like the experience here.

thx.

You reinstalled windows on HDD.
Now remove HDD and reinstall windows on SSD.

If windows on HDD is activated, then windows on SSD wil be activated also (if you install the same windows eddition - home or pro). This is because windows license is stored on Microsoft servers and linked to hardware ID of your pc. You can reinstall windows 10 on same computer as many times as you want (same windows edition only).

Or you can do cloning.
See post #3 in this topic:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/problem-with-cloning-ssd-to-hdd.3452095/

SPECOPS70

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
thx. but you lost me. so new install is on HDD. how exactly do i install my activated windows on the sdd? do a fresh install on sdd? how exactly will i be able to keep my license? I know windows goes off certain harware in pc's. so it would not see the difference from an hdd to sdd? thx

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
SNR is correct.
If you disconnect your HDD and then install a fresh copy of the same version of Windows 10 on the SSD, MS should Activate that copy based on your MB Hardware ID.
If it doesn't you can always put re-connect the HDD and then use clone software to transfer the OS to the SSD.

Last edited: