[SOLVED] Windows 10 HDD transfer install

anonymous_boi

Commendable
Nov 27, 2017
I wanted to install Windows 10 on a Sony laptop (using a USB drive) and basically I ran into some issues and, believe me, it just would not take any external media. I really tried everything.
After that, I decided to try to remove the HDD and insert it into a different PC. I proceeded to install Windows on the same HDD just whole another computer (I know that it sounds weird).
However, it actually worked. I installed a few updates, shut down the PC and removed the HDD. Afterwards, I placed the HDD with the new installation of Windows 10 in my laptop. Changed the BIOS settings a tad bit, booted it, but now it just gets stuck on a blinking underscore.
All help would be really appreaciated.

Solution
Moving a drive and OS between systems has 3 outcomes:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks.

Seems you've found #2, the typical result.

Seems like you have 2 issues. One, swapping the drive around and Two, Something is wrong with the Sony laptop.

USAFRet

Titan
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely

Seems like you have 2 issues. One, swapping the drive around and Two, Something is wrong with the Sony laptop.

Solution

anonymous_boi

Commendable
Nov 27, 2017
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely

Oh, ok. I also thought that it wouldn't work, but at least I gave it a try. I shall try to install the OS directly then I guess.