[SOLVED] Windows 10 - HDMI disconnect after turning TV off

Sep 4, 2019
I have Windows 10 on my HTPC - MacMini (late 2012) connected via HDMI to my receiver which is connected to TV.

My problem is that HDMI disconnect every time when I turn off my TV. Next time I have to wait few seconds for reconnect. But problem is when I'm in certain application (KODI), then HDMI will not be reconnected until I switch from that application (ALT+TAB or ALT+F4).

I tried:
  • turning receiver on/off doesn't solve the issue
  • drivers - latest, older
  • enable/disable HDMI CEC in my TV

Solution
Are you certain it's actually turning off?

I have seen certain HDMI configurations where, for whatever reason, Windows either doesn't recognize that it has been disconnected, and continues to try to send sound to that device, or the reverse, where when something in "the HDMI chain" (which you have here) is removed it switches audio back to the speakers/headphones, but the HDMI connection is still available and can be switched back to using the sound icon in the system tray.

If you click on that icon, if there is more than one sound device active a dropdown arrow will appear directly to the right of the volume slider. If you activate it you will see the other device(s) to which you can redirect output. It would not shock me if just...

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Are you certain it's actually turning off?

I have seen certain HDMI configurations where, for whatever reason, Windows either doesn't recognize that it has been disconnected, and continues to try to send sound to that device, or the reverse, where when something in "the HDMI chain" (which you have here) is removed it switches audio back to the speakers/headphones, but the HDMI connection is still available and can be switched back to using the sound icon in the system tray.

If you click on that icon, if there is more than one sound device active a dropdown arrow will appear directly to the right of the volume slider. If you activate it you will see the other device(s) to which you can redirect output. It would not shock me if just switching to/from your connected HDMI device that's not your TV will be the solution to your issue.

Solution
Sep 4, 2019
Yes I'm. I have separate digital audio out (SPDIF) and I can hear "unpluging sound" right after turning of my TV.

My another problem is that I can't see HDMI sound in my sound devices (thats why im using SPDIF) so I can't follow your advice :/

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Just so we're clear, I am talking about checking only using the speaker icon in the system tray, not anything in Device Manager.

I believe you do have a setup with which I am unfamiliar, but I wanted to post the above for other readers in addition to yourself.

Sep 4, 2019
Yes, Im checking the speaker icon in the system tray.

Unrecognized HDMI audio is a common problem and I refused to solve it. It cost me many hours without any luck. So im using SPDIF out to my receiver and its working.