Windows 10 Help

PearkerMead

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016
Hello Everyone,

So I am currently building a new PC, and I wanted to ask a question, because I did not have enough money to purchase a DVD drive

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/26sNgL

So can I load the windows 10 disk onto another PC that has a DVD drive, and then load it onto a USB thumb drive that I can plug into my computer and load it there? Or should I invest the money to purchase a DVD drive, if then, which one should I buy?

Thanks to everyone in advanced,

Perker

Solution
On your current machine, grab a USB, and go to Microsoft's site and download the media creation tool. It'll download an executable, run it and follow the steps. That will download the Windows 10 file to your USB, and when you plug the USB into your new machine, as long as there isn't another OS on any of the other hard drives, it will automatically select the USB, and you can install your OS from there.

genthug

Honorable
On your current machine, grab a USB, and go to Microsoft's site and download the media creation tool. It'll download an executable, run it and follow the steps. That will download the Windows 10 file to your USB, and when you plug the USB into your new machine, as long as there isn't another OS on any of the other hard drives, it will automatically select the USB, and you can install your OS from there.

Solution

PearkerMead

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016

The problem is that the OS itself is a disk, so I don't know if I can move the files from the disk to the USB. This is a first time build so I need to do a first time install of Windows 10

genthug

Honorable
You don't need the physical disk, you just need to know your activation code and the version of Windows 10 you have. The media creation tool will put the required files to install the proper OS onto the USB. No file moving needed. It'll do it all for you.

Download the media creation tool->run the executable->accept the necessary things->create installation media for another PC->select your language, and the version of Windows 10 you want to install->Choose to install to a USB->Choose the USB you want to install to. At this point, it will take a few minutes, but once it's done, you will have a windows 10 installer.
Keep in mind this will format the USB, so grab anything you want off of it before you use it.

ac13044

Honorable
Mar 25, 2016
just grab an iso of windows 10 32bit or 64bit remember that 32bit only shows 4gb ram while 64bit show from 4gb right up 2 max.

you can use any third party programs to make the usb bootable using the iso. yumi for example rufus media creation tool etc. usb do go faster at setting up windows. do backup your data as well music videos pictures software onto a external usb or hdd.

also write down your key for the new windows. download Magical Jelly Bean this will show your product key

PearkerMead

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016

So could I sell my disk copy that I got from NCIX.US and buy something with it? possibly upgrade from a 1060 to a 1070 with the EVGA step Up program? Let me know what you think

genthug

Honorable
The majority of what you pay for is the activation code, not the physical disk. You would need the activation code that came with your disk, so you can't sell it back. With the media creation tool you can install Windows 10 onto a machine but you need to activate it with your code. It's simply a work around in the day and age where DVD Drives aren't so common place anymore.

PearkerMead

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016

One last thing:
Where would I find the code, because all I see in the package is the disk, is it on the front, or back of the package, or is it on a sticker.

Oh so in the box is the activation code, and I can keep that and throw away/ keep the windows 10 disk. Thanks a lot, appreciate the help.