Sep 24, 2020
Installation Question

Hello,
I just finished my first PC build. I have an ASUS Rog Strix b450f motherboard. I plugged my USB with Windows from my Mac into the motherboard and tried to boot using this, and I keep getting a white underscore in the top left corner with a black screen. I used Boot Camp Assistant to format the USB and the file within the USB, and I tried to manually format the USB as exFAT and move the files in. Does anyone have any advice? I realized that I do not have a SATA cable connecting my HDD to the motherboard, but I have a M.2, so this should not be causing the problem right? Any help would be much appreciated. Now, the screen is reading that I need to enter a boot device and it is not reading it at all.
Thank you,
Jon

Disconnect all but the storage device you wish to have your OS on.
Prioritise your USB in Bios that contains the newly acquired ISO file using the media creation tool.
Your USB should be formatted to FAT32 and Bios must be able to recognise the boot device or it isn't working and if so use another working USB or check your USB ports.

Sep 24, 2020
Disconnect all but the storage device you wish to have your OS on.
Prioritise your USB in Bios that contains the newly acquired ISO file using the media creation tool.
Your USB should be formatted to FAT32 and Bios must be able to recognise the boot device or it isn't working and if so use another working USB or check your USB ports.
Is there a way for me to do this on a Mac? I feel like that might be a part of the problem. I was told to format on the Mac as an exFAT.

Thank you for your response,
Jon

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
i see a use for exfat when creating the USB on Apple due to file size restrictions overcome by some trickery on windows.

Finally, if the USB drive won't boot, you may need to enable "legacy boot support" in your BIOS, if you have such an option.
https://alexlubbock.com/bootable-windows-usb-on-mac

On an Asus system that is called CSM. It should be set to auto by default meaning PC should have changed its boot method on restart. You may be able to turn UEFI boot off in the boot menu in bios.

Sep 24, 2020
I used a Windows Computer to download Windows to a USB drive. Now, when I am starting up Windows I sign in and it starts to load "Almost there, this may take several minutes", and the screen goes black. Is there an issue with my hardware here?

Sep 24, 2020
I just fixed the issues that my computer had with its fans, and reinstalled Windows onto the M.2. Now, the screen goes black and just sits there after I signed into my Microsoft again and it says "Getting it ready for you". Do not know where to go next.