Question Windows 10 Home OEM Activation

May 29, 2022
I have a laptop where the hard drive crapped out. I bought a new, compatible hard drive and replaced the bad one. I then purchased an OEM version of Windows Home 10 (64 bit). Installation went without a hitch. I scratched off the covering for the product key and used it to complete the installation. I then went to Windows Update and installed all the updates identified.

When I went to Settings > Personalization, I was told that Windows Home 10 was not "activated" on my machine. The activation troubleshooter was no help.

Any clues? Is MS seeing my old installation of Windows Vista from 13 years ago on the old, original hard drive? How could I install Windows Home 10 successfully using the newly exposed product key, and yet not have it "activated"?

Regardless, how do I fix this? I have a legitimate version of MS Windows Home 10 with an original product key, but can't "activate" it!

Thank you everyone!

May 29, 2022
What OS was on it before the drive died?
Where did you purchase this "OEM" Win 10 license?
The original OS was Windows Vista. I'm assuming it died with the drive. The new drive was brand new and completely blank.

The version of Windows 10 Home (64 bit) was a sealed, OEM DVD that I bought on eBay. I broke the seal myself on the outer envelope which contained an inner envelope with the DVD in it. The inner product key was "unscratched" which was revealed by scratching off the silver coating.

I find it weird that I could install the operating system using the product key, but not "activate" it.

I'm thinking that the old OS, Windows Vista, is tied to the motherboard (which hasn't changed). So I tried activating Windows 10 Home using the Windows Vista product code, but that didn't work either.

USAFRet

Titan
A Vista license key can't activate a WIn 10 install.
Only a Win 7/8/8.1 license will work with WIn 10.

As to why the Win 10 license you bought won't activate?
Only MS knows for sure.

But buying a license from eBay (how much $ ?) is often not valid.
And there is no valid "OEM" Windows 10 that you and I could buy. That concept ceased after Win 8.1.
No matter what the seller says.

A Vista license key can't activate a WIn 10 install.
Only a Win 7/8/8.1 license will work with WIn 10.

As to why the Win 10 license you bought won't activate?
Only MS knows for sure.

But buying a license from eBay (how much $ ?) is often not valid.
And there is no valid "OEM" Windows 10 that you and I could buy. That concept ceased after Win 8.1.
No matter what the seller says.
well oem system builder pack which he got works like this:
buying the OEM software and installing it on your own new (or old) PC, thereby saving a significant chunk of change in the process, according to Microsoft, is a violation of the terms of the OEM System Builder license agreement, which says, that you must install the software using the OEM Preinstallation Kit and then resell the PC to a third party. If you install that software on your own PC, you don't have a "genuine" copy of Windows.

but technicaly system should activate on first pc you install it, its just that legality of such licence is questionable..and since its OEM, you cant use microsoft support to bug them about your issues, you can contact that ebay reseller, but good luck with that

there might be something why it didnt activate, activation servers already knows your hardware id with oem win vista, since you didnt use upgrade licence key to upgrade your old win licence to new win 10 licence or not used retail key, so that might be reason why your PC doesnt work with OEM keys now, or that key was dud

Reactions: TexasTwister
May 29, 2022
Did this system ever have Win 10 on it?
Nope.

What I think is happening is that an OEM version of Windows Home 10 that is installed WITHOUT using the OEM pre-installation tools (OPK) (only available to registered system builders) gives you a half <Mod Edit> version of Windows Home 10. For example, under Settings > Personalization, I am not able to change the Desktop background without a "valid" product key. I'm guessing that the OEM product key is somehow "upgraded" to a full version through the use of OPK.

I haven't fully explored everything I am limited on, but I got what I paid for didn't I? Lesson learned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackink

Distinguished
Maybe you can try calling Microsoft?

My first computer build was done with Windows 7 Pro OEM purchased from Amazon. I was saving myself some money buying the OEM version.
I ran into problems right from the start in trying to activate Windows 7 Pro OEM on my newly built PC.
I called Microsoft, told them that I was building my own computer to use here at my house and that the Windows activation wasn't working.

The guy on the other end did what he needed to so I could activate the OS and all was well after that. It took about half an hour from when I first explained what was going on to have that activation problem fixed.

It wasn't until sometime later that I read about OEM products are for resale only so I'm not sure why Microsoft helped me out.

Give them a call and maybe they can help you out too!

Reactions: TexasTwister