Windows 10 Home or Pro for gaming?

Bhavesh0723

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
I am a gamer and mostly use my PC as a gaming machine.

Windows 10 comes with two editions; Home and Pro. I want to know whether going from Home to Pro is there any benefits I gain in gamng?

Solution
When possible, you should always go with Pro. Not necessarily any better for gaming out of the box, but Pro gives you several benefits that will help get the most out of your system:
- Group Policy editor to customize and optimize your install
- Hyper-V for using virtual machines to minimize the risk of viruses when dealing with unknown software. Put some AV software in a virtual machine and safely check files for infection with 0 risk to your system.
- Remote Desktop so you can access your computer from elsewhere if necessary (helpful if you are at a friend's house and want to set up your computer as a server for a bit.)
- Bitlocker, protects your files a bit more than nothing
- More control over updates. Especially useful for...
When possible, you should always go with Pro. Not necessarily any better for gaming out of the box, but Pro gives you several benefits that will help get the most out of your system:
- Group Policy editor to customize and optimize your install
- Hyper-V for using virtual machines to minimize the risk of viruses when dealing with unknown software. Put some AV software in a virtual machine and safely check files for infection with 0 risk to your system.
- Remote Desktop so you can access your computer from elsewhere if necessary (helpful if you are at a friend's house and want to set up your computer as a server for a bit.)
- Bitlocker, protects your files a bit more than nothing
- More control over updates. Especially useful for improving system stability.

Solution

NightHaveN

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
For gaming I think you should go with the leanest, simple solution. While the Pro offers more advanced options like basroil mentioned, all those comes at the expense of extra services running on the background, consuming precious memory and CPU that could be used by games.

In short, if you don't need any Pro features and want gaming, go Home.

NightHaveN

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
Like anything computer related it depends on your system, and how many features (aka stuff) are you running on the background.

For example if you have encryption enable on your drive, that's a job that will occupy a CPU core or thread on a constant basis. That thread use will be negible in a i7 or multicore AMD chip, but if you have only two cores, will be more time sharing, less full game attention.

Like others said, if the person actually needs the features then go for a Pro license, otherwise is a waste of money.

NightHaveN

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
And most of the features the Pro has, if the user needs them you can go around with third party software. Which if you work in a mixed environment like I do made more sense anyway than proprietary MS solutions.

Group Policy... In a home...seriously. So he gonna have a purchased 2012 server too?

Hyper-V. For home VMPlayer and VirtualBox do fine. Also do you know you can't install Intel HAXM to speed Android VM with Hyper V enabled?

Remote access. VNC. It runs even on a toaster.

The only thing I can think of is disk encryption. And for sensitive documents is better a pre encrypted USB key and keept files away from computer in case it is stolen.

Feb 12, 2019
All good stuff. Let me add; group policies can mostly be accomplished using Regedit changes for those that really want to adjust their system that much. As someone like myself that uses Windows in a mixed environment; the only value of using Pro is if you have a centralized or cloud DOMAIN server (Windows Domain Controller - not DNS). Otherwise, best to stick with home.

Cheers,
T

TRENDING THREADS