Question Windows 10 Home Premium on ASUS laptop has unpredictable screen freezes ?

Giants_1

Honorable
Jul 3, 2016
ASUS Q304U Notebook PC, model 8260NGW, per white.a.drew's reply (below).

This laptop has never had this issue and been perfectly fine until about three weeks ago.

It runs Windows 10 Home and has current Windows updates. I'm not doing anything different and nothing unusual happens when all of a sudden the screen freezes, eg a Chrome window is open and the cursor, keyboard keys, and on/off button don't work.

There is no reset button.

There's no pattern as to time frame - has been 3 hours to 3 or 4 days. Turning off the laptop at night and when I'm not home doesn't change when it freezes up.

The keys, mouse/trackpad, and power button don't work when the screen freezes. I then have unplug the AC cord to drain the battery to shut down the computer. When there's no power, I plug in the AC cord and it reboots just fine, working until the next time it crashes.

About 60% of the time while the screen is frozen, I then get the blue screen of death saying that there's an issue with Windows (I don't
recall whether it gave error codes).

There's a twist. I set the battery management to maximum performance/battery drain so that when the system freezes up, the battery runs out of power about 7 hours later. However, for the past 1.5-2 weeks, it takes about 4-5 days for the power to drain, meaning that it somehow over-rode my high drain setting and went to low drain. I then removed the battery and tried to diagnose it just using AC. It would not power up for several days. I was unable to reinstall the battery, because I and a friend couldn't get the battery cable to connect to the connector. On a whim this evening, I plugged it in and it powered up to Windows Desktop.

What should I do to troubleshoot it?

Thanks!

Last edited:
This laptop has never had this issue and been perfectly fine until about three weeks ago.

It runs Windows 10 Home and has current Windows updates. I'm not doing anything different and nothing unusual happens when all of a sudden the screen freezes, eg a Chrome window is open and the cursor, keyboard keys, and on/off button don't work.

There is no reset button.

There's no pattern as to time frame - has been 3 hours to 3 or 4 days. Turning off the laptop at night and when I'm not home doesn't change when it freezes up.

The keys, mouse/trackpad, and power button don't work when the screen freezes. I then have unplug the AC cord to drain the battery to shut down the computer. When there's no power, I plug in the AC cord and it reboots just fine, working until the next time it crashes.

About 60% of the time while the screen is frozen, I then get the blue screen of death saying that there's an issue with Windows (I don't
recall whether it gave error codes).

There's a twist. I set the battery management to maximum performance/battery drain so that when the system freezes up, the battery runs out of power about 7 hours later. However, for the past 1.5-2 weeks, it takes about 4-5 days for the power to drain, meaning that it somehow over-rode my high drain setting and went to low drain. I then removed the battery and tried to diagnose it just using AC. It would not power up for several days. I was unable to reinstall the battery, because I and a friend couldn't get the battery cable to connect to the connector. On a whim this evening, I plugged it in and it powered up to Windows Desktop.

What should I do to troubleshoot it?

Thanks!
Laptop model