Question Windows 10 Hotspot - No internet access ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paka14

Reputable
Nov 21, 2018
Hi, I have a problem with fairly new laptop and a hotspot function.

I have a situation where I have my laptop plugged by Ethernet cable, and to have wifi access on my Android phone, I have to turn on Windows 10 Hotspot, as there is no router option available for me. It's working for a few minutes, but after a while a phone doesn't disconnect, but next to wifi icon there is a "!" and in wifi settings a "connected (no internet access)" monit. The device also disappears from laptop's list of connected devices. I have to re-enable wifi on phone and it works for few more minutes. It doesn't just lose connection when phone is inactive, but more often that way.

I tried switching back and forth from 2.4 to 5.0 and using static IP on phone, with no result.

I want to add that when I tried same thing earlier with my older computer, there wasn't such problem.

I would be very grateful for any advice and ideas, as I haven't found my exact problem anywhere else.
Thanks in advance.

paka14

Reputable
Nov 21, 2018
The later hints might apply to your situation.
Be aware of any new electronic devices in your environment.

Thank you, the thing is I don't have an iPhone so there's nothing from this post that I can check.
Also there are basically no new electronic devices used in my environment, beside the USB fingerprint scanner, but the same problem occurred before I bought it.

paka14

Reputable
Nov 21, 2018
Your campus IT department is obviously on the ball here security wise. You need to be talking with them about this.
It's been a long time, but I've been contacting my campus IT department stuff, and we figured out that if I try running the hotspot from the same laptop with Linux on live CD pendrive, there are no problems whatsoever.

Interesting thing is if my phone is connected to the Linux's hotspot, the icon on the phone is a normal, regular wifi icon, just as if I'm connected to the regular router, while if connected to the Win10, the icon contains the Hotspot sign (shown on attached screenshot).

Therefore it must be Windows causing the problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.