Windows 10 Idle RAM usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

CROcodile20

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
So, I want to make my gaming PC as effective as it can be.
When the PC is idle (no programs running, except task manager), I have 36 background processes and 26 system processes, Ram usage is @ 22 %, like in the picture below, I have 8 GB 1866 MHz RAM...

yj1nYDI.png

I am wondering, is the RAM usage too high, or is it okay for Win 10 ?

I was thinking about unistalling the Cortana app, because it eats around 35-40.000 K, but if I erase this, I wont be able to use windows search...

If you have any suggestions regarding this matter, then feel free to share!

Solution

The difference between 1.4 GB and 1.7 GB is 300 MB/ish so the difference is one normal size program running. There is nothing wrong with your Idle usage. When running GTA where were you looking to see memory...
1.5 GB - 2.5 GB is about normal for windows 10 so you are sitting just about right. Windows 8 - 10 uses more ram than Vista and 7 due to apps that run in the background.

I do not use cortana nor do I want it on my PC but I left it there since I do use the search box looking for items since I have close to 2 TB of info and programs to search through. So I personally left it on my PC just turned it off/ set the options to just search local disks and not the internet when I do a search. Call me a slow adopter of this "new" way of tracking me. ;)

CROcodile20

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014

I was concerned because while playing GTA Online, the overall Ram usage was hitting 7 GB at some points (like after 45-55 minutes of gameplay), and then it would hover around 6.9-7.2 GB.
Also the pagefile use is around 10 gb always, maybe I should tweak my pagefile somehow

Also, back when I had Window 8.1 Pro, the idle RAM usage was around 1.3-1.4 GB, not 1.7 like now.

The difference between 1.4 GB and 1.7 GB is 300 MB/ish so the difference is one normal size program running. There is nothing wrong with your Idle usage. When running GTA where were you looking to see memory usage? Task manager?

Page file is a storage area used when you either run out of Ram space OR when you shut down/ enter sleep mode and the ram needs to off load the information in order to use it when the system is rebooted / woken up. For 8 GB of ram you would typically set teh page file to between 4 and 8 GB. 10 GB is a bit excessive for just 8 GB of physical memory .

Solution

CROcodile20

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014

I was looking at Msi afterburner overlay, it shows my overall ram usage.
GTA V has a reputation of using much pagefile. Even when my pagefile is system managed (SSD C:/ drive), I get around 9-10 gb of pagefile use during the game.

Don't worry about the pagefile in game as it is not used for gaming. If it was you would be getting error messages of the HDD/SSD is "thrashing". MSI Afterburner is great for GPU's but not that great for other system usage details. GTA V is known for using obscene amounts of ram. Once the page file has been written it does not get wiped when not in use so if you see it fluctuating you can see this as an error in the program reading the use.

You can try this to look and see what your actually using during game, run the game in windowed mode and have Resource Monitor up and on memory tab to see what is being Used, Cached, Free (should be little to none for this one with 8 GB) and available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS