Windows 10 ignores power settings for screen timeout

MJLgaming

Reputable
May 17, 2015
My screen goes black every 10 minutes and its really annoying. Until a recent update this wasn't a problem. I had and still have my settings in power options set to NEVER for screen timeout AND sleep. This always worked but I think a new update must have did something to my PC because now my power settings are ignored. When I am not active for 10 minutes my screen will shut down. This is really annoying cause my Netflix constantly goes black and i have to wiggle the mouse like a madman and wait till the screen comes back on. Whats the differential diagnosis here people?

Yes I have tried switching the settings and switching them back. I also don't want to use a program like caffeine cause the Netflix pause menu bar pops up and covers the screen.

Solution
Well, power options in Windows 10 are far from perfect... If you type "Windows 10 Power Options settings not working" "don't work" or any variation, you'll get millions of results so this issue is very common... I personally have one that started maybe 7 to 10 days ago: I had Hibernation disabled and it still hibernated... reenabled it, restarted and disabled it again.. and it still Hibernates. So, it must be a bug that will eventually be resolved with some update, but you could try solving it by uninstalling (from programs and features) the update you suspect is causing it... or try restoring the system to a previous date and also block the suspected update to prevent it from installing again.

Another possible but drastic measure...
Go to Control Panel > Power Options > Power Plans... switch to the High Performance Plan... ("Balanced" is used by default)... Next open the power plan and set the HDD and Display turn off setting to Never. A full shutdown may be necessary if the computer hasn't shutdown recently.

The BIOS includes its own Power saving settings, check them and if necessary, reset them to not interfere with the Windows power options. If necessary, download the motherboard PDF user manual from the motherboard product page > support > downloads, to find the mobo power saving options in the BIOS.

Well, power options in Windows 10 are far from perfect... If you type "Windows 10 Power Options settings not working" "don't work" or any variation, you'll get millions of results so this issue is very common... I personally have one that started maybe 7 to 10 days ago: I had Hibernation disabled and it still hibernated... reenabled it, restarted and disabled it again.. and it still Hibernates. So, it must be a bug that will eventually be resolved with some update, but you could try solving it by uninstalling (from programs and features) the update you suspect is causing it... or try restoring the system to a previous date and also block the suspected update to prevent it from installing again.

Another possible but drastic measure would be to reinstall Windows 10 as it's possible it may not have the same issue a second time around.

Solution