Windows 10 INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE

bullbearings

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015
Alright so I'm aware that there are lots of fixes for thnis error, just start it in safe mode and it fixes.

I actually have encountered this problem and solved it with my previous HDD. Now I am trying to change the HDD as I'm giving my old PC to my sister and it would be easier if I just switched out the hard disks - a task that would usually be a breeze is now overly complex.

I believe it is an issue with the motherboard, I have reset the settings around 10 times now and I've tried anything. I cannot however boot into the startup settings panel, I';m unsure why but the option is not there. I have tried a command prompt legacy menu but it did not work and the menu just stayed the same. I'm completely lost now.

Anybody got any ideas?

bullbearings

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015

Just put it like this -
I am trying to put a hard disk with a working install of Windows 10, which previously worked on a different PC, onto another PC and it is not working. It is giving me the error INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE.
To then further complicate the issues the only fix that seems to work cannot be used because on the repair menu there is no startup options to go onto safe mode.

saywhut

Honorable
Sep 11, 2014
On the old PC where the Windows 10 installation was, was it installed under UEFI or BIOS/legacy mode?

Depending on which mode it was installed on, the other machine needs to be setup in the same mode in which the original Windows 10 installation was.

bullbearings

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015

Both machines were on a legacy BIOS, both PC's also were AMD and share a 64bit architecture.

bullbearings

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015

Whoops pressed the wrong button on my phone and chose the best answer by accident..however AHCI is something I tried to set SATA config to however I'm not sure how to do it.

I run the Gigabyte MIT bios thing, could anybody give me a clue?