Windows 10 install freeze on loading files or Windows logo

Aug 28, 2018
Hi,

I got my hands on some old hardware and built a computer for my son. I know the previous owner and it worked fine for him (motherboard, cpu, ram and gpu) and I have installed a new SSD drive.

When I try to install Windows 10 with a USB key (created in Media Creation Tool from Microsoft) I see the Windows logo, but no spinning dots, and it just freeze there.

Setup:
Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI Delux
CPU: AMD Phenom 9750 quad-core
GPU: EVGA GTX 570
RAM: 4GB DDR2 800Mhz (2 sticks)
HDD: Samsung SSD

I have tried to:

- Update BIOS to latest version
- Different hard drives
- Different USB memory sticks (one I recently installed another computer with)
- New SATA cable
- Just one memory stick in different slots
- Disabled onboard LAN and Audio

I have tried to boot Windows XP Mini from Hirens Boot CD and it works fine, so I guess there shouldn't be a CPU problem if that works.

I'm out of ideas now, does anyone have a tip on what I should try? I have searched both this forum and on google but I have not found anything useful, except it seems like others have installed Windows 10 with this motherboard without problems. Could it be something I need to have a look at in BIOS?

Aug 28, 2018
BIOS detects it as a Hard Disk Drive and the name of it that is SanDisk (not Removable, there I only see floppy).

Where I see Hard Disk drives in the BIOS I can also select the order of them, so the usb drive is at 1:st position.

I have tried both booting as first boot device (works, it boots the USB drive but then freeze) as well as pressing F8 during boot to select the usb drive manually.

Aug 28, 2018
I cannot try i DVD now as I don't own a DVD-burner, but I can borrow one later and try it if I don't find a solution for USB-boot. I have found other forum threads about similar problems and it seems like if it behave like this and boots but then freeze, it doesn't work with a DVD either, but I agree it's worth a try.

I have disabled floppy in BIOS and also all on board stuff I don't need to install, LAN/Audio etc.

TRENDING THREADS