Question Windows 10 Install from USB, Hangs on Windows Logo

Nephytes

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
Hey everyone. I just upgraded to a i9-9900k, 32GB DDR4 Ram, MSI MEG Z390 Ace motherboard. I assembled the PC.

I made three USB sticks with Windows 10 using the Windows Media Creation Tool. (Just in case)

All three just net me a screen with the Windows logo in the middle. The dots swirl once, and freezes up as the last 1-2 dots are disappearing.

I've tried each 16GB RAM stick by itself. Reloading bios defaults. Tried different USB ports. Tried disconnecting the SSD I'm installing to completely and then tried, just to see what it does. Same results every time.

I'm not sure what else there is to try, but I'm wondering if you guys have any ideas on how to get it moving? Or do you think my motherboard is faulty?

Feb 20, 2020
Hello all

I have recently had the same issue with trying to install windows 10 from a USB on a new build.
Would load into the bios fine but when i went to boot from the windows 10 USB it would load the windows logo and the dots would circle for about a second and the system would freeze up.

I spent days reviewing every issue every forum suggested and tried several fixes to no avail. The list of fixes i tried are below -

Replaced memory modules
re-seated the memory several times
Re-seated the CPU, even changed the CPU
updated the bios
Removed it from the case to 'bread board' it
changed the boot device from HDD to SSD
Tried all the different Sata ports
Tried the USB boot drive in 2.0 USB ports and USB 3.0 ports
Reset the CMOS
Tried setting the BIOS USB boot option to 'legacy' instead of 'UEFI'

Nothing seemed to work...

At about 11:30pm last night however, for some crazy reason, i had the idea in my head that the motherboard on-board graphics was failing on booting from the USB.... don't ask me why i thought this, i just did...
I grabbed an old GPU plugged it into the motherboard and the USB drive booted first time from restart.....

After days, if not weeks, of staring at a frozen windows logo and 5 or so stupid frozen spinning dots the PC booted and installed windows 10 with no issues at all.....

If i hadn't of been so happy for it booting on first go i probably would of cried....

I had tested the CPU on another motherboard before and the memory and both booted fine to windows... for some reason this motherboard decided that the integrated graphics output would be the issue...