Question Windows 10 Install from USB won't go through

Apr 23, 2019
Short of it is that when I go to install Windows 10 from USB, after selecting any partition to install it on it just goes back to the "Install Now" screen. As of now I cannot access the system aside from BIOS. I'm willing to give more as needed but it's late now and I'm lost dealing with this. Thanks in advance

Drive cleaning probably can be avoided.
But I'd need to know current partition configuration, to determine, how to do that.

Can you boot from windows installation media into command prompt,
execute these commands,
take a photo of command output and
post it here (use imgur.com to upload image)?
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
list volume

Disk 0 is 931GB (1'000'000'000'000 bytes) drive.
It has 99MB bootloader, 3x450MB small recovery partitions and 930GB OS partition.
If you can clean 930GB OS partition, why can't you clean entire drive? There is no other data on it.

Disconnect Disk 1 (500GB drive) - this must be disconnected to avoid potential problems;
boot from windows install media;
clean 931GB drive;
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
(make sure you select the right disk)​
clean
install windows (let it create all the necessary partitions).

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019
Thanks, but what if I wanted to install Windows on Disk 1 (500gb) instead and set that as my boot drive? Also my 930gb has windows on it but isn't partition away so other data is there with it.

Thanks, but what if I wanted to install Windows on Disk 1 (500gb) instead and set that as my boot drive?
Nope. It is not partitioned properly.
It has 442GB and 34GB partitions. There is no space for bootloader partition. Without changing partition configuration, it can not be made bootable.

I'm a bit confused. First you said, you wanted to install on 931GB (disk 0 ). Now you' re saying, you want to install on 500GB (disk 1).

Last edited:
Sorry, I meant if it was possible to partition it properly from command prompt
What is located on 500GB drive? What's in those 442GB and 34GB partitions?
If you want to install windows 10 in 34GB partition, the size is not really adequate for normal operation.

To make 500GB drive bootable, you'd have to create bootloader partition manually. Yes - that can be done with command prompt.

So - it's just for temporary installation of windows (messing around). Am I understanding this correctly?

34GB would be enough for initial installation. But it will fill up quickly. And when next big windows update gets released, you won't be able to normally install it. I'd say 100GB is probably minimum for normal operation.

If you want to make 500GB disk bootable, then perform these commands:
diskpart
list disk
select disk 1
(make sure 500GB disk is selected)​
list partition
select partition 3
(make sure 34GB partition is selected)​
shrink desired=500
create partition efi
format fs=fat32
assign letter=H
exit
bcdboot C:\windows /s H:

bcdboot command will create bootloader files on 500GB drive and will add bootloader entry to 930GB OS partition.

Next - disconnect 930GB disk and install windows onto 500GB disk. Specify 34GB partition as target for OS installation.

Apr 23, 2019
Thanks for the reply, I tried what you said and it worked for installing it, though after a few attempts I couldn't finish it due to BSOD (first was win32k.sys, memory management, and just now kmode_exception_not handled). I've run chkdsk and sfc scannow, and I've used the RAM before so I haven't used 1 stick at a time yet. The farthest I got was past the install and "preparing devices" and then it blue screened.

Apr 23, 2019
Update: formatted the large partition, then installed. Still BSOD at the very end but it went through with the update and is launching from SSD now

EDIT: Now I get into the system, but still am BSOD frequently if not in safe mode :(

Last edited: