[SOLVED] Windows 10 install in Uefi with or without secure boot

Selynelar

Honorable
Feb 19, 2019
Hi all,

I would like to do fresh windows 10 install on my pc in Uefi mode. Is it okay to do install windows 10 while in the bios the secure boot is enabled? Or what is excatly the procedure?

Also when I install the Windows in Uefi mode do I need set anything after that in bios or windows? Or I just Install the windows in Uefi mode and when finished I just install the drivers and thats all?

Thanks for your replies.

Solution
If the bios has secure boot on, its in UEFI mode.

what motherboard do you have? Secure boot is meant to stop the bios from booting from non approved devices. One of which is often a USB. There might be a way around that.

All Bios since 2010 have mostly been UEFI bios, UEFI stands for Unified Extensible Firmware Interface, it was designed to fix the limitations of the previous type of bios that boards before 2009 had.

Colif

Win 11 Master
If the bios has secure boot on, its in UEFI mode.

what motherboard do you have? Secure boot is meant to stop the bios from booting from non approved devices. One of which is often a USB. There might be a way around that.

All Bios since 2010 have mostly been UEFI bios, UEFI stands for Unified Extensible Firmware Interface, it was designed to fix the limitations of the previous type of bios that boards before 2009 had.

Solution

Selynelar

Honorable
Feb 19, 2019
Thsnks. My motherboard is Msi Z490 Unify.

So basically I dont need to touch anything in the bios. I just install the windows in Uefi mode(boot the usb drive in Uefi) and drivers. And thats all. I dont need to set anything either in bios or windows(except the customizes)?

Colif

Win 11 Master
have a look on the save & exit screen of the bios and see if there is an option callled boot over ride. If there is, all you need to do is
put usb in at boot
go into bios and go to save & exit screen
pick boot over ride
select USB from list, PC will boot from it and on the next start up, revert to normal boot order

I can't confirm it is in your bios but previous MSI motherboards had the feature so it should. Manual isn't overly helpful - https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C71v2.1.pdf

Last edited: