[SOLVED] Windows 10 Install on HP Laptop issues

Ironarmygeneral

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2015
EDIT: See below (in case someone else runs across this issue), I ended up figuring it out on my own and explained how; device is working properly with Win10 able to flawlessly install after MANY agonizing hours of headaches. Even once I got to a point where the install started working, it was still being finicky at first and ended up being an emotional rollercoaster of my worrying if it was going to fail again, then the screen flashing and making me want to pull my hair out, before jumping up and down for joy when realizing it was still fine, and then for about an hour, the rollercoaster continued... but in the end, it worked fine and I had no issues once I realized what was causing it to do what it was doing.

Hi guys.

I'll start off with the model number and serial number of the device, it's a 2017(ish?) HP notebook: Model number 15-bw069nr serial number <removed by moderator>

Anyway, so I had issues with booting to Windows originally. It gave me an error, saying that two different files were missing or corrupted. I tried to safe boot... nothing. I tried to use a recovery media. Nothing.

So I flashed the hard drive, not having much of anything on it--I decided to reinstall Windows on it. I couldn't. I either got an endless loading loop, or a "static" screen (looks like an old plasma TV when it can't find a TV channel, but more colorful, with a BARELY VISIBLE Windows logo in the middle.)

So I chalked it up to possibly hardware failure. I replaced the motherboard, the hard drive, the RAM stick, and got a brand new DVD copy of Windows 10.

After installation, all the parts seemed to register in the BIOS and work properly. However, I could not get it to load Windows setup still... if I leave the BIOS as default, and only change the boot priority to load the bootable DVD, it gives me a blank screen that states, "Press any key to load from CD/DVD ROM. . . ." so I do. Then it gives me the HP logo, sits there doing nothing for about 5-10 minutes, and then it reboots, and goes back to the blank screen telling me to press any key again. If I don't press any key within about 3 seconds, it gives me an error stating, "Boot device has failed, press OK to continue" and I do. All it does is reboot the laptop and I'm back at the same, "press any key" screen.

So, I shut it down and restarted the laptop. When booting I pressed F9 to get into the "boot device" settings; (I forgot to mention I had tried multiple times different ways, with Secure Boot off and on, and legacy boot off and on); at this time I had legacy boot enabled, and when I have that enabled, if I go into the F9 boot device menu to manually select a boot device, there is actually two options for the DVD: one for UEFI and one for Legacy. Before with legacy disabled, I only had the UEFI option. So I tried the option to boot from the DVD drive as legacy--this worked a bit better, and didn't give me the "press any key" screen, but: it went to the Windows logo for a split second with a loading circle, then immediately the screen flashed, and the screen went completely blank aside from a blinking dash at the top left of the screen. It doesn't matter how long I let it sit like this, it doesn't do anything at all. Just sits there.

So, I realize I've had this exact issue before--the DVD I bought off Amazon just didn't want to work. So I installed the latest version of Win10 64-bit onto a 64GB USB flashdrive. (I have heard that installing windows onto a USB 3 drive and then using it to flash Windows onto a device sometimes doesn't work, so to just avoid this I installed the boot media onto a USB2 flashdrive and used that.)

Anyway, it does the same thing as before with the Windows DVD, but this time when I can select the USB drive (instead of the DVD drive--mind you I removed the DVD from the ODD to make sure it didn't interfere with the installation somehow) as a legacy option, I get the Windows logo again for a split second, then the screen flash, then the flashing dash at the top left with a blank screen--it does stay like this for a while but after a minute or two, the screen flashes once or twice more, the dash goes away, but now (where I am currently at, completely lost) the display is this weird, static-y, colorful screen again with a barely visible Windows 10 logo behind it--again. Back to square one basically.

So, at this point I am completely lost; even if it was a software or hardware issue, I would think that this wouldn't have been an issue regardless--other than the laptop case, the display itself, the keyboard, and the wifi chip--it's basically a brand new computer. All other parts are brand new and seem to be working perfectly fine other than the fact that I can't get Windows 10 installed.

I also see no way that there would be some sort of BIOS or integrated chip corruption that transferred itself to the new parts--none of the old parts or files even touched the new parts-- and the installation USB and DVD's I was using were completely different too.

Anyway... sorry for the long post... I'm just tired, frustrated, can't seem to find any information online about this at all (besides other people stating trying to switch between legacy/UEFI and to try it with safeboot enabled and also disabled--oh and trying different installation media and methods.

I'm just so lost with this thing. I don't understand what could be causing this at all. ANY ADVICE IS APPRECIATED.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
You might wish to contact HP and see if they will give you a download link for you to make a recovery USB.
Sorry for the late reply... turns out the laptop for one: didn't like installing with a DVD or USB3 (like I thought--what's funny is I even mentioned that and just didn't pay close enough attention to the fact I was indeed using a USB3 flash drive--facepalm)--USB2 worked fine, aside from the fact that: two: I was using the latest build version of Windows 10 which the laptop didn't seem to want to use to install, so I used Rufus and grabbed an older build from 2017.

After that it all worked fine. Oh, and it also seemed to have a chip that injected an imbedded product key into the new install, (from before), so I didn't even...

Ironarmygeneral

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2015
You might wish to contact HP and see if they will give you a download link for you to make a recovery USB.
Sorry for the late reply... turns out the laptop for one: didn't like installing with a DVD or USB3 (like I thought--what's funny is I even mentioned that and just didn't pay close enough attention to the fact I was indeed using a USB3 flash drive--facepalm)--USB2 worked fine, aside from the fact that: two: I was using the latest build version of Windows 10 which the laptop didn't seem to want to use to install, so I used Rufus and grabbed an older build from 2017.

After that it all worked fine. Oh, and it also seemed to have a chip that injected an imbedded product key into the new install, (from before), so I didn't even end up needing the new key for Win10 that came with the DVD. facepalm again

But long story short, everything works fine, Windows10 is up and running again and the laptop works flawlessly.

Solution