Windows 10 install stuck on blue logo, and a mulititide of issues

Yellow768

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
Hello all, sorry for any formatting issues, I have to type this out on my phone.

So recently, a capacitor in my motherboard blew, and another one was bulging. So I ordered a new motherboard to replace it, an Asrock 970 A-G/3.1

Once I moved everything over, upon booting the PC it would go to Windows 8.1 recovery, and it tells me that my PC needs to be repaired because "the operating system couldn't be loaded because a critical system driver is missing it contains errors".

If I press enter, eventually i can get through, but it will just blue screen while loading.

I dont have recovery tools, and i googled and found that I probably need to reinstall windows after changing a motherboard. I decide to upgrade to Windows 10, and order the DVD installation.

I put in the disk, boot from the DVD drive, and then it shows the blue windows logo with no spinning dots. After it hangs there for a while, it goes back to the PC recovery, which is confusing me, because I told it to boot from the DVD and not from the hard drive, and I am not trying to load the operating system. I have even tried disabled booting any other drive except the disk drive, and it still goes back to the PC recovery.

Ive tried many things to solve this problem, I unplugged my second monitor. In the BIOS (or UEFI?), I enabled secure boot,I have disabled CSM, which caused my PC to keep 5 times on startup and I had to reset CMOS, enabled fast boot.

I know I've tried other things but I cannot remember them. No matter what I do though, I can get to a screen that asks me to press any key to boot from DVD/CD drive, it will either hang on the windows logo or the asrock logo, and then go back to the recovery screen. I'm completely lost, my only other idea is to now move my boot drive to another computer so I can wipe it there, but knowing my luck with computers I'm afraid of just messing up that one.

So, any ideas on what else I can do, or if my hard drive idea is possble or safe?

Specs:
Cpu:AMD FX 8350
GPU: AMD R9 290 Sapphire
Motherboard: currently the Asrock 970 A-G/3.1 (previously an ASUS M5A78L-MLX)
PSU: Corsair CX 750m
I have three SATA harddrives.

Colif

Win 11 Master
under boot menu, probably after csm, there may be a boot override selection. I don't know asrock bios sorry.

Boot Override: I don't see it in the manual - http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/970A-G3.1.pdf

Instead, try turning off Fast Boot on the boot menu (see page 62)
disable Secure boot - see Security tab (page 65)

with both those on, PC won't boot off anything other than hdd. Best idea is reset bios to defaults as in that setting, it should auto boot from a USB - see below

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB, and use it instead of DVD drive.

Its the same files, likely to be a more up to date version of win 10 than what is on the DVD

UEFI = the BIOS. UEFI = Unified Extensible Firmware Interface, its just the standard BIOS are made using now. Almost every PC in last 9 years has supported the features it provides... bigger hdd, graphical interface in BIOS, fact it knows what the mouse does.

only have the drive you want win 10 on attached when you install. Stops win 10 using old boot partitions on other drives - this is a pain if drive later dies or you remove it, as win 10 won't be able to boot.

Yellow768

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
Boot Override: I don't see it in the manual - http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/970A-G3.1.pdf

with both those on, PC won't boot off anything other than hdd. Best idea is reset bios to defaults as in that setting, it should auto boot from a USB - see below

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB, and use it instead of DVD drive.

Its the same files, likely to be a more up to date version of win 10 than what is on the DVD

UEFI = the BIOS. UEFI = Unified Extensible Firmware Interface, its just the standard BIOS are made using now. Almost every PC in last 9 years has supported the features it provides... bigger hdd, graphical interface in BIOS, fact it knows what the mouse does.

only have the drive you want win 10 on attached when you install. Stops win 10 using old boot partitions on other drives - this is a pain if drive later dies or you remove it, as win 10 won't be able to boot.

I will try that, thank you. I'll get back to you once I do it, I need to save everything off this flashdrive and what not.

Yellow768

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015

I created a usb with the windows media creation tool, i disconnected the other hard drives, fastboot and secure boot are both disabled, i told it to boot from the usb, the first time i had it on something that said "UEFI LExar FLashdrive", that went to the ASRock, hanged, then went to the pc recovery. I changed it out for "USB: Lexar Flashdrive", and that went to the windows blue logo with no spinning dots, and then went to PC recover.

Do I need to wipe the old hard drive? I've been dealing with this for 5 days and this stupid problem has me fuming

Yellow768

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
Now I'm at a loss for words. I have disconnected every single hard drive, literally tell it to only boot the USB, there is no possible way for it to access anything but the usb, and yet it still will boot to the Windows Logo, and then tell me I need to repair and recover my PC because critical operating system files are missing.

I'm so frustrated. I'm not trying to load an operating system, there is no hard drive connected for the computer to even look for an operating system. I am trying to install Windows 10 but it just simply does not want to.

If i disconnect the USb, upon boot it goes straight to BIOS.

I don't know what to do.

Last edited: