Question Windows 10 install will not show SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_justin

Honorable
Mar 25, 2017
Hello,
I am having a issue where Windows 10 installer isn't seeing my SSD when I go to 'custom installation'. I've tried also using the command prompt in Recovery USB and it also does not show the SSD in 'diskpart'. I can boot up Hirensboot and see the SSD. I can also plug in my USB that has Windows 10 on it. I can run it from Hiren's and it will allow me to install Windows 10 to the SSD. However, when it gets done installing it blue screens saying "inaccessible boot device".

I'm wondering if there is a way I can use Hiren's boot to install Windows 10 to the preferred SSD without it giving issues.

This all basically started when I got bitlockered out. I have no idea what my recovery codes where, and I never logged into my Windows with a microsoft account so I can't go get the codes there either. I, then, wiped the Hard Drive to reinstall Windows. And now, we're here.

Thanks to anyone that takes time to reads this and to anyone that tries to help.

EDIT: I also wanted to add that I've tried booting with secure boot ON and OFF. No changes. I've also booted up Linux Parrot OS to see if it would also read the SSD. It does read the SSD but it has a issue when trying to install Parrot OS. I'm not sure why..I am no expert in Linux stuff.

Last edited:
What is the model of this SSD and where are you trying to use it? (Internal, external, enclosure, etc.)

Also, what are your FULL hardware specs including motherboard model and BIOS version, any other drives, CPU, memory, power supply (Exact model number please), etc.?

King_justin

Honorable
Mar 25, 2017
What is the model of this SSD and where are you trying to use it? (Internal, external, enclosure, etc.)

Also, what are your FULL hardware specs including motherboard model and BIOS version, any other drives, CPU, memory, power supply (Exact model number please), etc.?
I'm sorry. I should have put NVMe m.2 instead of SSD. its a snyk 250gb I think? It's a HP 15-dw3031cl laptop.

What happens if you don't choose custom installation?

Were you previously having problems with this laptop and that is why you are doing a clean install or what is the reason you began this process in the first place? Is this a new drive, or the same drive that was already installed before?

King_justin

Honorable
Mar 25, 2017
What is "snyk 250gb" ?
Did you mean SK Hynix ?
Yes.
The reason I was wanting to wipe it was due to the fact that it got bitlocked. Not sure how (Maybe a bad update?), but I have no access to any of the keys. I never set up a Microsoft account on the system. I just made a local administrator account. I've tried reverting last update. I attempted to a System Restore, but the system didn't have any restore points created. I've tried "unlocking the nvme" with command prompt with no luck.

So, I used Hirensboot to wipe the nvme. Then I tried using Windows 10 installation disc and that's where it wont show up.

I was asked what happens when I use the other installation method instead of custom. Basically, it tells me it has no hard drive to install too.

The BIOS reads that it has a nvme in it. Hirens reads it. I can create a partion, wipe it, make folders, etc. But, Windows installer just will not find it..and neither will the comand prompt within the installer.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes.
The reason I was wanting to wipe it was due to the fact that it got bitlocked. Not sure how (Maybe a bad update?), but I have no access to any of the keys. I never set up a Microsoft account on the system. I just made a local administrator account. I've tried reverting last update. I attempted to a System Restore, but the system didn't have any restore points created. I've tried "unlocking the nvme" with command prompt with no luck.

So, I used Hirensboot to wipe the nvme. Then I tried using Windows 10 installation disc and that's where it wont show up.

I was asked what happens when I use the other installation method instead of custom. Basically, it tells me it has no hard drive to install too.

The BIOS reads that it has a nvme in it. Hirens reads it. I can create a partion, wipe it, make folders, etc. But, Windows installer just will not find it..and neither will the comand prompt within the installer.
BitLocker doesn't "just happen".
Not from a random Windows update, or any other behind the scenes magic.

Whoever you got this system from, ask them for the BL key.

But, Forum rules preclude assistance with getting around encryption or passwords.
Closing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.