Windows 10 installation after getting new motherboard

Johnson Deng

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
I've updated my Windows 10 to the anniversary update and linked my Microsoft account with Windows 10, I am getting a new motherboard and I understand how to reinstall/activate Windows 10 after I've installed the new motherboard.

During the process I actually want to install my OS on my SSD and remove my the OS from my HDD, my question is how would I go about this process?

Solution

Download the MediaCreation tool
Create a USB or DVD install media
Install it on your SSD.

If there are activation issues (and there should not be with just a drive change) go through the Activation troubleshooter.

Johnson Deng

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

I've read this article and I understand it, like I stated in my post, I've already updated to the anniversary update and linked my Microsoft account but the OS is installed on my HDD. I want to reinstall my OS on my SSD after I do this hardware change.

Kurz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Just unplug the sata port of the HDD, install only the SSD.
Run the setup on the SSD only.
After you are ready to edit the HDD, plug back the HDD and transfer off the files you want to save to the SSD.
Then Format the harddrive using Disk Management.

USAFRet

Titan

Download the MediaCreation tool
Create a USB or DVD install media
Install it on your SSD.

If there are activation issues (and there should not be with just a drive change) go through the Activation troubleshooter.

Solution

Johnson Deng

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

Okay thanks for all the info so far. Will the OS on my HDD automatically be uninstalled while installing the OS on my SSD?

USAFRet

Titan

No, it won't.
And you should install the OS on the SSD with only the SSD connected.
Reconnect other drives later.

Johnson Deng

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

Thank you so much. So after installing the OS on my SSD, I reconnect my HDD to uninstall my OS correct? How do I uninstall the OS from my HDD after all that?

USAFRet

Titan

Assuming there is nothing on that drive you wish to keep, or you have already saved off any critical documents...

Disk Management or cmd and diskpart.
Delete ALL partitions on that drive.