Dec 28, 2019
Hey guys, I could really use some advice on how to go about resolving this issue with my new AMD build.

So I'm trying to clean install Windows 10 via USB on three different drives, two of which are brand new, and each time the installation fails at "gathering files %" with a BSOD, followed by an immediate restart of the entire system. Sometimes it makes it up to around 50% before the BSOD happens.

BIOS are up to date (V.1405) and everything is set to default settings for the installation. Boot is set to "Other OS " and I've cleared the secure boot keys. CMS disabled. USB was created with the Media Creation Tool (Windows 1909). (I've already tried with different USB's and programs such as Rufus so I'm sure it's nothing to do with the iso.)

The restart happens so fast I can't always see the BSOD but so far have gotten the following:

KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE
DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL
KERNEL AUTO BOOST LOCK AQUISITION WITH RAISED IRQL
PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA

I understand most of these errors point to either the RAM/CPU/MOBO being faulty. However I've tested both RAM sticks with Memtest86 and after a combined 6hrs came back clean of errors. So now I suspect the MOBO or even the CPU to be the culprit, as much as I'd hate to RMA parts that aren't even a year old.

Now, I can actually install Windows. The thing is, it's always a roll of the dice. One time I got the installation 100% on the third try, only after applying the 3200mhz XMP profile to my RAM, which is compatible with the motherboard so says ASUS. Other times I've gotten Windows installed after countless attempts. It truly is random as hell. When I do get Windows up and running, it might work fine for a short while but I'll get a BSOD watching youtube videos or maybe while playing a game. So in short, the issue isn't so much installing windows as it is discovering the ROOT cause of why the installation fails far more often than when it decides to work.

Any ideas? I'm at a complete loss without spare components to test with.

Specs:
ASUS TUF GAMING X570 PLUS (WIFI)
Ryzen 3600 (stock cooler)
RX 5700 XT
G.Skill Ripjaws V (2 x 8gb)
EVGA Supernova 650w

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019
what speed is the ram running?

Hello there. Current speed is 3200mhz. This is the speed the ram is rated at, and also the max speed that the mobo can handle. I've already tried installing windows at default speeds and with just a single stick of ram (even swapping between the two 8gb sticks)... I'm starting to think the mobo has gone bad or possibly the cpu.

Memtest86 shows no errors on either ram. I'm at a loss here!

Dec 28, 2019
check for bend pin on the cpu?
if there isn't any, could be the mobo

I recently reseated the cpu and applied arctic 4 mx thermal paste. At any angle I can't spot a single bent pin so I too think the mobo could be the issue or equally possible I might have gotten a cpu from a bad batch, as outrageous as it sounds for a new ryzen 3600. The whole build is less than a year old (october 2019).

Since today is Sunday I just downloaded Doom 2016 and plan to play unlocked for a couple hrs just to force a BSOD and it might not happen as it does appear to be completely random when it does. As I write I just booted up and it was surprisingly fast to boot. Regardless, I know if I try to install the OS on another drive I'll get a BSOD during the "gathering files for installation %" - so I know there is a hardware issue at the root of all this that must be resolved.

Tomorrow I'm bringing the system in, I need a spare mobo/cpu to confirm if they're the issue. It's very tough being that I live in Cancun and computer repair shops here mainly deal with intel builds, but I found a guy who claims he mostly repairs amd builds. We will see...

I'll keep posted if I get a BSOD while gaming today.

Dec 28, 2019
Update: I've been playing DOOM 2016 at 140-200fps, 1440p in order to push my cpu and cause a BSOD.

So far it's been rock solid, which I believe indicates the cpu is indeed NOT the problem here. More than likely it is the motherboard and since I was only able to install windows (on the third try) by using the 3200mhz xmp profile for the RAM (2x8gb), I think perhaps the mobo is failing to properly communicate between itself and the cpu/ram.

Funny, and YouTube reviewers praise the reliability of the ASUS TUF GAMING X570 PLUS (WIFI). Could it also be that the CMOS is going bad on a new mobo? Doubtful. Again, without spare parts I can't do much. Tomorrow I'll be bringing my build in to do precisely that.

Dec 28, 2019
Update 2:

Finally got the chance to swap motherboards, same issue occurred during the installation of windows.

So, motherboards have been tested along with gpu, psu, different ram... leaving just the CPU. Sometime tomorrow I'll have the chance to swap CPU's with another ryzen 3000 series.

Unbelievable that my Ryzen 5 3600 is the issue here. Not even a year old, looks like a RMA in the near future.

I'll confirm and close this thread by Tuesday.